1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Safe apps to remove

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AndroidHaCks, Dec 19, 2012.

1. AndroidHaCks

AndroidHaCks Android Enthusiast

I'm sure some of you, like me, are wondering what apps are safe to remove from your Rise. So i was thinking that we make a thread of apps that you've safely removed, and i'll add them to the OP for others to see. :)

Safe to remove(I haven't tested these, I've just been told they're safe. I'd reccomend freezing them instead of removing them until we get a custom recovery):

Browser (if you have an alternative)
    Email 4.1
    Gallery (if you have an alternative picture viewer)
    Gmail
    Google Play books
    Google Play movies
    Google Play Music (if you have another music player, or if you don't listen to music)
    Google +
    Launcher (if you have another Launcher)
    Mobile ID
    My account
    News and weather
    SSA
    Talk back

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lovemuffin

lovemuffin Newbie

I'm wondering that as well. Is Google Talk safe to remove? I removed Mobile ID first thing. Hasn't seemed to cause any problems.

3. AndroidHaCks

AndroidHaCks Android Enthusiast

Google talk shouldn't be as problem. I disabled it with no problem

4. sneaky_1

sneaky_1 Android Enthusiast

The list of apps I freeze.

Browser 4.0.4 - I use dolphin
    Email 4.1 - I use yahoo
    Exchange services - for stock email app
    Gallery - I use quickpic
    Google play books - don't use
    Google play books - same
    Google + - same
    Launcher - I use holo
    Mobile ID - it blows
    My account - bloat
    News and weather - dont use, bloat
    SSA - already activated
    Talk back - bloat

AndroidHaCks likes this.
  5. K Rize

K Rize Android Enthusiast

i have removed
    MobileID
    launcher/ use Apex Launcher & Next Launcher
    Talk
    talkback
    Swype
    stock Keyborad/ use Jelly Bean Swype Keyboard or GoogleLatinME, wutever u want to call it
    gallery/ use Jelly Bean Gallery with swype gallery
    Google Search/ use Google Now offline
    News & Weather
    My Account
    Maps
    Street
    Gmail
    Google+
    Google Music
    Google Movies
    Google Books
    Quick Search
    Youtube
    Livewallpapers
    removed some media files from system/media/notification
    /alarm
    /ringtones
    left only the ones listed in build prop

6. Kritter888

Kritter888 Android Enthusiast

if you remove maps & street then can u still use gps navagation if you where in a car unlimited data alot of people includeing me prefer use our phone then by a whole gps system for car?

7. lokiare

lokiare Newbie

I've removed it and I use Waze to do my GPS through my phone. Works fine. At first it'll panic and try to reload it like 10 times and tell you it stopped working, but then after you restart it won't matter. I freed up about 20mb of ram just by doing most of them on the first list. Nice. I'm wondering if I can get an app that kills processes that aren't needed like the play store when I'm not using it or various apps that sit in memory for no apparent reason.

8. Seliah

Seliah Lurker

How does one actually remove Mobile ID? I go in and force-stop it, though that needs to be done every time the phone is rebooted. Is there actually a way to permanently freeze/remove it? If so, how?

Thanks.

9. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert

You must be rooted. ES File Explorer and Titanium Backup can both remove or freeze it.

10. TechDad378

TechDad378 Well-Known Member

FYI: I looked at your list of apps that can be removed. If I may make a suggestion, "SSA" will not allow a user to reactivate his/her phone if it is removed.

I am not sure if freezing it may cause a problem but I think removing "SSA" may cause a problem later on down the line.

If a phone loses activation from not being used or improper tweaking, and "SSA" is removed, the user will get the error "Unfortunatly "SSA" has stopped". Then the phone can not be reactivated.

I know this because I encountered this error. If overwriting/replacing the "SSA" app will not resolve the problem.

11. dibblebill

I removed the Virgin activation app, can't recall if it was SSA, and the person who bought my Rise was able to activate it again manually via ##VIRGIN##.

12. It was SSA.apk or self service assistant.Either way your right its possible to still activate any phone without forementioend just a matter of one actually knowing what their doing

13. dibblebill

All you have to do to reprogram/activate the phone without SSA is dial ##VIRGIN## and hand-set all your MSID/etc values.

TechDad378 likes this.
  14. sneaky_1

sneaky_1 Android Enthusiast

That's why its better to just freeze system apps with "app quarantine". Uninstalling system apps doesn't make any more usable room, as the apps are on the /system partition. And if you have any issues all you have to do is unfreeze them.

But yea, I always just activate manually with ##virgin# (if the phone supports it). That method even helps re-provision the phone's connection to the network if your having data issues, if you "1" out the mdn and msid and reenter your info back in.

15. dibblebill

This. THe only thing it makes more room for is integrating your system app updates to the ROM (I'm obsessive compulsive about this on phones) which WILL free up app space.

Kyocera Rise Forum

The Kyocera Rise release date was August 2012. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 3MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

August 2012
Release Date
Reviews