• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Safe 'bloatware' to freeze

No, factory reset just removes all your downloaded apps, settings, and Google account(s) info, it does not restore apps you've removed from the system.

Good thing I didnt do that then. So I would download the program and choose the first option which is restore root and the hack root. It says it wipes data and cache so I would need to back up all my apps on titanium backup then? Would I need to unroot first or would it be okay that I am already rooted?

Thanks again for all your help

Upvote 0
Don't do anything other than

1) make a fresh TiBu

2) Run the utility and revert to stock,

3) root and apply 43v3r root

1) By make a fresh TiBu you mean back up all your apps right?

2 and 3) My four options are:
1 Restore root and 43v3r root a bionic

2 Root and 43v3r root a non rooted Bionic

3 43v3r root a rooted bionic

4 Restore Bionic ONLY - NO root

which option should I choose?

Upvote 0
1) Yes. After the phone boots back up you'll need to sign in to your Google account to move forward, or you can skip, then go back to the R3L34S3D root program and go ahead and root, and then install TiBu (gotta find it though, as you can't download from market without first signing into the market, try his website at Titanium Backup for Android ? Official Site

2+3) use option 1. Again, after everything installs and ht phone automatically boots, check every thing out, log in to your Google account (or skip) and then check everything out.

Upvote 0
1) Yes. After the phone boots back up you'll need to sign in to your Google account to move forward, or you can skip, then go back to the R3L34S3D root program and go ahead and root, and then install TiBu (gotta find it though, as you can't download from market without first signing into the market, try his website at Titanium Backup for Android ? Official Site

2+3) use option 1. Again, after everything installs and ht phone automatically boots, check every thing out, log in to your Google account (or skip) and then check everything out.

I can just download TiBu from the market right? Also what do you mean check everything in and everything out?

Upvote 0
It's a lot easier (and safer) using Titanium backup to freeze them - and you have a second option to choose if you want to disassociate them from Market, so if you opt not to, you'll still get notifications whenever there is an update for the frozen apps.

Plus, I have the full system dump - in /system/app alone there are 408 files, so.....

1/2 are the .odex files, so that's still 204 just in /system/app.

I suppose that Titanium Backup may provide the actual file name too - I think it used to in a separate dialog box.

Upvote 0
Stealing from the list in post 6, I added all of the apps I have frozen as well. My notes are in RED.

Alarm & Timer 2.3.4
Amazon Kindle 3.0.2.71
Android Live Wallpapers 2.3.4

Android Live Wallpapers 2.3.4
Backup Assistant 2.3.4
Backup Assistant Client 1.0
Bookmarks Widget 2.3.4
[BOOKMARKS] Browser 2.3.4 (stock browser) (I kept this one)
Citrix Receiver 2.1.1059
City ID 1.1.7
Device Setup 1.0
DLNA 0709.69
DlnaSystemService 1.0

Email 2.3.4 (I kept this one)
Email Authenticator 2.3.4 (I kept this one)
Files 2.3.4
Flickr Authenticator 2.3.4
Gmail 2.3.5 (I like K-9 Mail)
GoToMeeting 1.0
Guided Tours 2.3.4
Help Center 2.3.4
Homescreen 1.0.0.106
Home screen tips 1.0 (I deleted this one)
IM 3.0.4.6 (I deleted this one)
IM Presence 2.3.4 (I deleted this one)
Live Wallpaper Picker 2.3.4
Messaging 2.3.4 (I kept this, even though I use Handcent)
MOTOPRINT 2.0.0.38 (I froze updated version 2.0.0.62)
News 2.3.4 (I deleted this one)
Print to Retail 1.0
Setup 2.3.4
Slacker 3.0.535 (I kept this one)
Social Location 2.0
Social Messaging 2.3.4
Social Networking 2.3.4
Social Status 2.3.4
Sticky note 2.3.4
Swype 3.21.87.27685 (I deleted this and installed version 3.25.91.31127)
System Portal 2.3.4
Talk 1.3
Task Manager 10.0
Tasks 1.0
Terminal Emulator 2.3.4 (I deleted this one)
Toggle Widgets 2.3.4
Twitter Authenticator 2.3.4
Universal Inbox 2.3.4 -- there are 2, both can be safely frozen
V CAST Media Manager 4.4.1.0
V CAST Music 03.72.110
V CAST Tones 4.5.11
V CAST Videos 5.72.008
VideoSurf 1.0.10
VZ Navigator 7.2.0.353
Weather 2.3.4
Webtop 1.0 (I kept this one)
Webtop Connector 1.0 (I kept this one)
World Clock 1.0
Yahoo Contacts 2.3.4
ZumoCast 1.0.25

Well. I used Titanium backup to freeze most, but not all of the apps listed above. And my phone will not boot up. I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point. Help!

Upvote 0
I've frozen both Sling and Mog without an issue.

Same here, also froze Amazon MP3, VZW Package Installer, and Apps (VZW). No issues so far.

On a related note, I discovered that if you freeze Email Engine (I use Gmail), it will cause the Calendar app to force close when attempting to add a new calendar event. Defrosting fixed it. So don't freeze that one. ;)

Upvote 0
Based on the information contained here I froze the following:
Amazon MP3 2.0.15
Apps 2.00.54
Backup Assistant 2.3.4
Backup Assistant Client 1.0
Citrix Receiver 2.1.1078
City ID 1.1.7
IM 3.0.4.6
IM Presence 2.3.4
MOG
Slacker 3.0.546
Slingbox 1.0
Social Location 2.0
Social Messaging 2.3.4
Social Networking 2.3.4
Social Status 2.3.4
Twitter Authenticator 2.3.4
V CAST Media Manager 4.4.1.0
V CAST Tones 4.5.12
VideoSurf 1.1.7
VZ Navigator 7.2.0.452

It might all be in my head but after freezing these apps then rebooting, the device just seems a little snappier.

Upvote 0
Along the same lines, what about Myspace authenticator?
Funny, I finally got around to freezing apps last night after the move to .902 and was wondering about all of the various authenticators as well.

Corporate Sync Authenticator
Facebook Authenticator
Flickr Authenticator
LastFM Authenticator
LinkedIn Authenticator
MySpace Authenticator
Orkut Authenticator
Photobucket Authenticator
Picasa Authenticator
SkyRocket Authenticator
Twitter Authenticator
Yahoo Mail Authenticator
YouTube Authenticator

Anybody know about freezing these if you don't use a particular service?

Also,
I didn't see these in the list either:
Social Messaging Service
Social Sharing

Anybody know if these are ok to freeze like the other Social* apps?

Upvote 0
Funny, I finally got around to freezing apps last night after the move to .902 and was wondering about all of the various authenticators as well.

Corporate Sync Authenticator
Facebook Authenticator
Flickr Authenticator
LastFM Authenticator
LinkedIn Authenticator
MySpace Authenticator
Orkut Authenticator
Photobucket Authenticator
Picasa Authenticator
SkyRocket Authenticator
Twitter Authenticator
Yahoo Mail Authenticator
YouTube Authenticator

I believe all the "Authenticator" apps are for when you add an account to your phone (in settings under Accounts). For instance, if you add a Yahoo email account, it invokes the Yahoo Authenticator, asks for your credentials, and then authenticates with Yahoo's servers to allow synch access. I've never seen one of them running unless invoked in this manner, so personally I left them all unfrozen. They seem harmless enough and you never know when you might need to add a new account for some unforeseen reason.

Also,
I didn't see these in the list either:
Social Messaging Service
Social Sharing

Anybody know if these are ok to freeze like the other Social* apps?

I have both of those frozen and haven't had any issues.

Upvote 0
Anybody know exactly what the "VZW Package Installer" does? Sounds like it can be safely frozen, but I'd just like a little explanation before I do so.

I read somewhere (can't recall the source, sorry) that the VZW Package Installer works in tandem with the new VZW App store. So presumably if you purchase an app via the VZW App store, in would then invoke VZW Package Installer to install it. I have both frozen because I have no intention of buying apps from VZW, and have had no issues so far.

Reactions: dberthia
Upvote 0
Ok... here is my situation. A very quick history first:

I've been with Android since day 1 (with G1) but I've avoided root and everything to do with it mostly because I rely on my phone so much and don't want to have to screw around with it when I really need it. For whatever reason I finally cracked because of the amount of bloat on the Bionic and decided to go root mostly so I can get rid of all the bloat. So, I did that and got Titanium backup. I will admit... perhaps I rushed a little bit and didn't read up enough. I thought I'd be ok with backing up and uninstalling some apps (because I hadn't purchased Titanium Pro yet - so I couldn't freeze)... so I did that with some apps. Then I started reading more and it sounds like Freeze is the way to go and uninstalling can cause some issues. I like to be as kosher with my phone as possible, so to be safe I restored as many backups as possible then froze them (after purchasing the Pro version of Titanium).

So here is where I am now. In Titanium Backup I have the following apps which I backed up and uninstalled but I can't seem to restore them:

Guided Tours 2.3.4
IM 3.0.4.6
IM Presence 2.3.4

I also see the following apps/services which I don't think I ever uninstalled but they show up in the list with a line through them... not sure what's going on with these:

com.android.music
com.pv.android.verizon.mod
mot.app.admin

So... I have two questions. First of all... my phone is working fine.. I have had zero issues and I swear it's running better after getting rid of the bloatware. I guess my only concern is that at some point if we ever get an ICS (yeah... right...) or other update then I might run into problems. Do any of you here know... or feel fairly confident that I would run into issues with some sort of update because IM and/or Guided Tours is missing from my phone? I kind of find it hard to believe that this is the case.. but I have no real-world experience to backup my instinctive guess here. I would REALLY like to avoid having to factory reset my phone or restore to some image or something. I kind of have my phone exactly the way I want it right now... I'd really like to avoid more time and hastle.

Second question... does anybody know what those other three apps are and if I should be worried about those?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones