1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Safe map alternative

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rgarner, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

What"s a good choice for nongooey maps? Most of the time I don"t really need one but now and then. This would be a great chance to insert a shameless plug for Be Expert with Map and Compass. (I didn"t write it.) I believe the author is actually Bjorn Kjellstrom. Yes, Virginia, there is an alternative to following googoo into a swamp. It"s better for the brain, too.

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

There are various apps using open street map data. OsmAnd is probably the best known, and has a huge number of options. Maps.ME is another popular one, less open-sourced but smoother rendering (there is an OS variant of it in the F-droid store which worked well for me for a year but which I'm currently having trouble with).

There's also HERE WeGo, which I've not used for years (it was still owned by Nokia the last time I had it installed) but was decent back then.

I tried to check out Be Expert but can't find it. Maybe it's regional so doesn't show up in the UK Play Store?

Rgarner likes this.
  3. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I'm sorry about the accidental red herring. That's a book. I'm probably going to have to check out fdroid. They sound pretty good.

4. joe71

joe71 Android Expert

As a truck driver I rely on several things a Randy McNally atlas (the kind you actually hold and open and look at pages, ) I use the Randy McNally navigation app and I use a app called co pilot
    I use Google maps and Google Earth to get a look at the places I am delivering to or picking up from, I don't use either for directions (normally)

Unforgiven and Rgarner like this.
  5. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I downloaded OsmAnd but for some reason it was not installed. I'm hoping whatever map app I get (if any) can be installed on sd. My current card is 64 gb and mostly open.

6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

+1 for co-pilot. It's based on PC-Miler, which was an old school routing software for trucking. So in addition to having off-line maps and navigation you can set driving profiles (no tolls, no highway, hauling a camper, etc.) and the maps are frequently updated. A onetime purchase for general navigation and something like $12 / year for real time traffic.

Rgarner and joe71 like this.