• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Safe Mode made things worse

taiowa

Dec 28, 2009
Texas
I was having some major issues with my phone just recently so I put the phone in Safe mode and went into almost every app to work with some settings the last time I was able to clear up some issues and when I came out of safe mode things appear to be fine. Now I am not going to lie and say that I don't install third party apps. As a matter of fact I'm kind of addicted to it but I do uninstall them on occasion. Anyway after I did the safe mode and rebooted my phone is completely jacked up. Almost every app I have installed including system apps are reconfigured or have went back to their manufacturing settings which is really weird because I didn't touch any of those.

Well there's nothing wrong with 3rd party apps in general. In fact I've been using Android for over a decade now and the dialer and contacts apps on my phone are the only first party apps I use - I use 3rd party apps for almost everything.

Anyway that sounds like there is something screwy with your phone, as entering safe mode should not do that. What were the problems you were having before? Wondering whether this might be related (though it may be impossible to say).

Upvote 0
Yup. Have seen that. Last time I went to save mode it idn't just change the settings fo every single app during the safe mode session it stored them so when I cam out I had to reset them again for all apps.

Luckilly I don't have tons of them and Android notifies you of permission requirements that may be missing on launch as opposed to apple that people have found out just fall over due to lack of permissions for migrated apps or those theat have lost permissions since install.

Reactions: Milo Willamson
Upvote 0
It's unfortunate that Android also bugs you about permissions that aren't needed at all. For example every time I make or receive a call I get a message from the phone app to tell me to grant Google Play Services permissions it "needs". Of course it doesn't need them at all - calls work just fine - it's just Google won't accept that you might deny them access to potentially intrusive permissions that they would like...

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
It's unfortunate that Android also bugs you about permissions that aren't needed at all. For example every time I make or receive a call I get a message from the phone app to tell me to grant Google Play Services permissions it "needs". Of course it doesn't need them at all - calls work just fine - it's just Google won't accept that you might deny them access to potentially intrusive permissions that they would like...
You can also tick Never ask again, or similar. This would also only happen if you had a 3rd party contacts or dialer app installed. It is probable that this is the source of your issues, You should definitely go to apps, look at Contacts and Dialer. Remove the ones that can be removed. Reboot to be sure.

Upvote 0
You can also tick Never ask again, or similar. This would also only happen if you had a 3rd party contacts or dialer app installed. It is probable that this is the source of your issues, You should definitely go to apps, look at Contacts and Dialer. Remove the ones that can be removed. Reboot to be sure.
Nope, the phone will not allow me to suppress this notification (other notifications, yes, not this one). I don't have a third party dialer, and it started at a time when I didn't have a third party Contacts app either. This is entirely Google: Google's Phone app, Google Play Services wanting me to give it permissions, a Pixel phone. I suspect I'm unusual in that I own a Pixel but don't use Assistant, so disallow Play Services permissions that others would grant it. It may also be that only Google's phone app interacts this way with Google Play Services. At least it's easier to ignore than when it first started, when it would beep during calls, but it does add to my impression of Google as a dishonest and self-serving corporation (though to be fair all corporations are self-serving and that usually leads them to dishonesty of some degree or other).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones