• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Safe to add ro.sf.lcd_density to build.prop?

Hey Zmaxers, I'm curious as to if its okay to add the LCD_density flag to the build.prop document on our phones to get a little more content on the Zmax's huge screen, since it doesn't seem to be there in the build.prop file at all.

It should be safe, yes?

EDIT: So I gave it a shot, and it works out nicely. Weird that it's not in the build.prop to begin with, but adding it allowed me to get more screen real estate out of the 5.7" screen.

So add ro.sf.lcd_density=x to your build.prop if you want to make your screen look a little prettier; Personally, I find 270 perfect.

Last edited:
can you tell me more of what i need to do/how i can do this?
Hey Zmaxers, I'm curious as to if its okay to add the LCD_density flag to the build.prop document on our phones to get a little more content on the Zmax's huge screen, since it doesn't seem to be there in the build.prop file at all.

It should be safe, yes?

EDIT: So I gave it a shot, and it works out nicely. Weird that it's not in the build.prop to begin with, but adding it allowed me to get more screen real estate out of the 5.7" screen.

So add ro.sf.lcd_density=x to your build.prop if you want to make your screen look a little prettier; Personally, I find 270 perfect.

can you tell me more about this like what i need and how i can do it ?

Upvote 0

It should be safe, yes?

Nice find I'll try this out later.

EDIT: Adding this to the build.prop changed nothing for me so with the build.prop changes still in place I headed over to the good ol adb shell through windows commannds and changed the dpi through there as well to what I had set it as in the build.prop. The changes took effect and it seems like im having no troubles so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

First off, you need to have r/w to your /system, so flash Masterchief87's boot switcher zip inside TWRP and then 'reboot recovery' to go back into Android with full root capabilities. (If you had no idea what was the purpose of those zips, go to his 'Full Root Capabilities without Uninstalling TWRP' thread and read up asap.)

You can use an app with built in build.prop editing tools to help you. I used Device Control from the Play Store, so go ahead and get that. Once installed, run it, swipe from the left and select 'More', and then tap Build.Prop. Press the + and set name to ro.sf.lcd_density, and then set Value to whatever you please. 240-270 recommended. Once done, save and reboot your device.

Upvote 0
Nice find I'll try this out later.

EDIT: Adding this to the build.prop changed nothing for me so with the build.prop changes still in place I headed over to the good ol adb shell through windows commannds and changed the dpi through there as well to what I had set it as in the build.prop. The changes took effect and it seems like im having no troubles so far.

Is this the command you used?
"adb shell wm density DPI" (with DPI set to what you want)

Upvote 0
Is this the command you used?
"adb shell wm density DPI" (with DPI set to what you want)
Yup after entering adb shell I input the "wm density DPI" command.
When I changed my DPI, I originally used the "adb shell wm density 280" command and it created conflict between the values. After I manually changed it in the build.prop to match what adb shell wm density had shown for the override value.

Note that the results after inputting just "wm density" will be something like:

Physical density: 320
Override density: 280

And if they match, it will just be

Physical density: 280
You want them to match so you don't get any graphical glitches such as what I had run into with the SwiftKey keyboard becoming unusable and a couple other wonky things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

If you didn't already know how to mess with the build.prop, I highly suggest against messing with it. We have already had a couple bricks from messing with the build.prop.

Reactions: FateZero
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones