1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Safe to delete these?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by muddlemand, Oct 15, 2020.

1. muddlemand

muddlemand Member

To make space on my phone, I'd like to delete all except the most recent of the daily WhatsApp chat backups.

These (screenshot attached) are in /WhatsApp/databases/

Before I delete, please reassure me they are the old daily backups and I'm not deleting something I shouldn't!

(Wondering why they don't automatically delete as each new backup file is created. They're huge and it must clog most people's phones up terribly; it's a minority of people that know how to use a file manager and fiddle with these files, I should think. But that's separate from my question.)

Attached Files:

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

they are not huge. 1 gb is bigger then 1 MiB (i think it is a little more then a megabyte). these are small files and will not really make that much of a difference in storage space.

.....but yes those are ok to delete

MrJavi and Hadron like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I think they probably use MiB to make clear that it's a binary MB - which anyone who knows computers would assume is what MB means anyway ;).

But yeah, 27MB is nothing. Your browser probably caches more than that whenever you visit any Web page. And WhatsApp does automatically delete them after a week. It provides some redundancy in case something goes wrong and one of them is corrupted or accidentally deleted. Remember that these only contain the text, any pictures or videos are stored separately in the WhatsApp media folder and not duplicated in these chat backups - unless your friends only ever send text the media folder will be massively bigger than these backups. But go and look at the size of your browser's cache if you want to worry about this type of thing (or a typical social media app, or Google Play Services, or....).

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  4. muddlemand

muddlemand Member

Thanks both, as long as I'm ok to delete them. :)

I was deleting everything big enough to be listed in MB rather than KB - my phone got too crowded to update anything! I see that there's only a weekful of these backups, but it would be great to be able to choose how many. I'd set it to two or three at most.

I did go to look at the browser's cache, then remembered I'd already deleted everything's cache about half an hour before...!!

Thanks anyway, I thought that's what I was looking at but glad of the reassurance.

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.

WhatsApp Messenger

WhatsApp Messenger Forum

com.whatsapp

WhatsApp from Facebook WhatsApp Messenger is a FREE messaging app available for Android and other smartphones. WhatsApp uses your phone's Internet connection (4G/3G/2G/EDGE or Wi-Fi, as available) to let you message and call friends and family. Switch from SMS to WhatsApp to send and receive messages, calls, photos, videos, documents, and Voice Messages. WHY USE WHATSAPP: • NO FEES: WhatsApp uses your phone's Internet connection (4G/3G/2G/EDGE or Wi-Fi, as available) to let you message and call friends and family, so you don't have to pay for every message or call.* There are no subscription fees to use WhatsApp. • MULTIMEDIA: Send and receive photos, videos, documents, and Voice Messages. • FREE CALLS: Call your friends and family for free with WhatsApp Calling, even if they're in another country.* WhatsApp calls use your phone's Internet connection rather than your cellular plan's voice minutes. (Note: Data charges may apply. Contact your provider for details. Also, you can't access 911 and other emergency service numbers through WhatsApp). • GROUP CHAT: Enjoy group chats with your contacts so you can easily stay in touch with your friends or family. • WHATSAPP WEB: You can also send and receive WhatsApp messages right from your computer's browser. • NO INTERNATIONAL CHARGES: There's no extra charge to send WhatsApp messages internationally. Chat with your friends around the world and avoid international SMS charges.* • SAY NO TO USERNAMES AND PINS: Why bother having to remember yet another username or PIN? WhatsApp works with your phone number, just like SMS, and integrates seamlessly with your phone's existing address book. • ALWAYS LOGGED IN: With WhatsApp, you're always logged in so you don't miss messages. No more confusion about whether you're logged in or logged out. • QUICKLY CONNECT WITH YOUR CONTACTS: Your address book is used to quickly and easily connect you with your contacts who have WhatsApp so there's no need to add hard-to-remember usernames. • OFFLINE MESSAGES: Even if you miss your notifications or turn off your phone, WhatsApp will save your recent messages until the next time you use the app. • AND MUCH MORE: Share your location, exchange contacts, set custom wallpapers and notification sounds, broadcast messages to multiple contacts at once, and more! *Data charges may apply. Contact your provider for details. --------------------------------------------------------- We're always excited to hear from you! If you have any feedback, questions, or concerns, please email us at: android-support@whatsapp.com or follow us on twitter: http://twitter.com/WhatsApp @WhatsApp ---------------------------------------------------------

READ MORE
March 18, 2020
Last Updated
Rating
5B+
Installs