• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Safe to remove apps

abrahamramirez

Nov 1, 2011
I am creating this topic because I think we could use a thread dedicated to see what is safe to remove and what is not.

Right now it won't have much, but I plan to provide good info. please post what you have been able to remove and even what Bootloops phone or just causes problems.

ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE TRYING THIS! BOTH NANDROID AND TITANIUM BACKUP

Ways to Remove Unnecessary Apps

One way and my personal favorite is to use Titanium Backup. It can uninstall these apps but can also back them up.

Another way is to use a file manager that can access /system/app. this is one of the harder ways since it can get difficult to know what is what because it just gives package names. ex. com.mobitv.client.tmobiletvhd.apk is the T-Mobile TV app

Safe to remove NOTE: This is how they appear in Titanium Backup. Always make a backup both TiB and Nandroid before starting
Buddies now 1.0
Custimize homescreen 1.o
Email 1.0 (this is the widget not the android email app)
Game Base
Gmail
Google Play Books
Highlight
Home screen tips
Lookout
Media Hub
More for Me
News & Weather
Ocean Weather
Polaris Office
Pro Apps
Slacker Radio
Social Hub (app)
Social Hub (widget)
TeleNav GPS
TwLauncher (only if you have a replacement launcher. Ex. Adw, go, Zeam, ...)

Unsafe to remove. Do not remove!
Media provider

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

If you do remove something you shouldnt

If you can boot, then just restore the app you removed in titanium backup.

If you bootloop you got two options
1. Restore Nandroid backup in CWM (good thing I did a Nandroid backup, right?)
2. No Nandroid Backup, its not guarantied but you might be able to use this: http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=529336 . A factory reset/data wipe may be needed in stock recovery

I will try to see if I can post backup files in case some one does remove something they shouldn't.

mediaprovider.APK and .Odex: http://db.tt/EQquH1Zi

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
These are my personal success; I hold no responsibility to what may happen to your phone by uninstalling these. Maybe someone can confirm my own success also.

My personal success in removal:

411 & More
Accuweather.com
MobileLife Contacts
MobileLife Family
T-Mobile Mall
T-Mobile Name ID
T-MobileTV
T-Mobile Video Chat
Visual Voicemail
Zinio

Note: I did not remove the "Bonus Apps" Widget as this provide download shortcuts to some of the applications installation if ever you need to re-install.

These applications were listed in the Bonus Apps, but did not provide a "download" button if you ever want to put them back. (Unless you have gone backup with TiB as stated in OP; I did :) )
T-Mobile TV
MobileLife Contact

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones