1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Safe to Remove?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gtFlue, Nov 19, 2011.

1. gtFlue

gtFlue Member
    None

Nov 14, 2011
    Morning all. I've done a huge amount of searching on these forums with some great results and lots of information that I'll never be able to remember.

So, I'm new to the Android world and the GT540.

I have the international (maybe European?) version which is fine cause it works just fine with my service provider.

I've rooted and have link2sd up and running and now ready to start removing some crud.

I don't have a very big list since I haven't played with it that much, so is it safe to remove:

VZ-Netzwerke
    Wapedia
    Xing
    Twitter for LG
    ?

Also, Either I'm not searching correctly or I'm totally missing the results, but could someone point me to a HOW TO on backing up your ROM?

Thanks much!

B.

Advertisement

2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Work to live, not the other way round!!
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forums!

With regards to removing apps... it may be worth freezing them first (using Titanium Backup), just to see if it affects the phone. If all is ok, then look at removing them.

With regards to the backup, you need to have clockworkmod installed on your phone. This is a custom recovery and, from within clockwork, you can make a full backup of your phone - always worth doing before you flash anything to your phone, as you can always revert back if there is any problems with your phone!

Hope this helps... if you need any more info, either post in here or drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do for you!!

3. androidboss7

androidboss7 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    To backup your rom as The GUIDE said :)
    U need to have clockwordwod recovery..
    To have that flashed there is a thread for this someone
    in the ROOT section but sorry i don't have time
    to find it.. :(
    Then navigate your way around using volume keys to backup
    and restore.. press call button and wait for it to backup
    and then reboot!! :)

4. gtFlue

gtFlue Member
    None

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks. After I've had the phone for a few weeks I'll see about ROM swaps. After I educate myself a bit more.

The Freeze tip is a good one..I'll have to upgrade TI shortly and give that a whirl. Will Ti allow you to freeze something that will "break" the phone, if so can you then unfreeze??

TIA.

5. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Work to live, not the other way round!!
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    Titanium should allow you to freeze something and then, if it's not right, unfreeze it. One option would be to backup before you freeze anything. Freeze one app at a time - if all is ok, then you can either backup again and remove the frozen app or just carry on freezing until you have all frozen and then (providing no issues) mass remove (if you did it this way, I'd definately do a final backup before removing, just in case)!

6. dudeman1996

dudeman1996 Android Expert
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    London, UK
    In order to backup your ROM you need recovery, in order to install recovery you need fastboot, in order to install fastboot you need to install a fastboot KDZ, which will wipe your data.. If you want to go ahead with that, I'll gladly write up some instructions :)

7. gtFlue

gtFlue Member
    None

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks Dudeman...since I've flashed with the 2.3.7, I guess this thread is now meaningless. LOL.

I think I'll be spending the next day or so searching for bugs. yipee?