• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Safe to underclock a phone?

For battery saving purposes I have installed setcpu on my rooted huawei blaze u8510 aka ideos x3. The default speed was 600mhz but I have created profiles which underclock it down to as much as 122 and 245 mhz.

My question is are these low frequencies enough for the phone to still handle sending/receiving calls and sms messages efficiently?

245Mhz is enough for most stuff .(Some lag will be noticed )
122 Mhz is enough for stuff without WiFi or 3G and heavy launchers (Preference to Vertical scrolling ). Accessing Messaging and Dialer will be slow painfully .

But why to go for the profiles at all !!!!Governors do the same stuff :D

Set the governor to conservative ,and the processor speeds will fluctuate on the load .
ondemand is a bit faster than conservative .

245-600 conservative or 122-600 ondemand is good combination for daily use .

I dont think any stock phone has performance scaling governor anyway,

Check the post below to know more about for Scaling Governors ;)

http://androidforums.com/faqs/443075-root-terminology.html#post3442659

Upvote 0
going down.. is safer than .. pushing it too high.

but.. locking it between 122 and 245... that is so limiting and slow. how does you phone react?? is it usable? i would think.. that you can not even answer the phone, because it would take it to long to even respond; before the call goes to voicemail.

Upvote 0
lol no
Powersave is best for battery .It is exact opposite of Performance Governor .
Performance just uses the max speed , Powersave just uses the Minimum speed .

If you set min and max to same speed ,it acts as "performance/powersave Governor " .
Conservative fluctuates between min and max but is preferably in lower with ramp higher than batterysave .
Ondemand's ramp is higher than conservative .

Personally go for conservative without any profiles . 122Mhz will require ondemand governor since conservative and powersave will just hang the phone as dan said .

Edit:-

Ofcourse you have not mentioned whether you used deodexed ROM or odexed and which Launcher you are using ..
Odexing will allow you to keep CPU speeds low
Also File systems matter .ext4 and ext2 require more CPU .
JFS has the least CPU footprint .
Also GB requires less CPU than Froyo .lol

I was running odexed JFS GB mod which is still smooth on 245-480 conservative :D .

Upvote 0
I should explain in more detail. Here is the profiles I have setup:

Default: 480 MHZ, powersave mode
Battery <30%: 320 MHZ, powersave mode
Battery <15%: 245 MHZ, powersave mode
Screen off: 122 MHZ, powersave mode

Its the screen off and battery<15 I'm more worried about. When my screen is off and CPU is 122MHZ will it still be able to receive calls? Is there a min processor speed required for calls and sms?

@karendpr: I have no idea if i'm dexed or deodexed (dont even know what it is - bit of a noob). The rom I'm on is stock huawei 2.3.5 with root and I'm using launcher pro as my homescreen.

Upvote 0
I should explain in more detail. Here is the profiles I have setup:

Default: 480 MHZ, powersave mode
Battery <30%: 320 MHZ, powersave mode
Battery <15%: 245 MHZ, powersave mode
Screen off: 122 MHZ, powersave mode

Yeah..... about those profiles .phone .On second thought if the sliders are same performance governor is active
In powersave mode only the minimum frequency is taken so technically you will be running at 122Mhz come what may which will seriously lag the
So all that profiling is for nothing .

Let me tell you why I dont think profiles are necessary .

Run your phone on 122Mhz-600Mhz conservative for one full day .
After one day open set CPU and in info tab check the Time in State section
If you are using it for daily purposes i.e call,message,work,music,etc without gaming or cpu intensive apps ,
Then you will find that the CPU remains 50-65% in 245Mhz and 15-25% in 320Mhz .
Which in turn abolishes the use of profiles any way.
By profiling you may be overclocking when it is not required .

Micro - profiling should only be done if you know your Time in state and adjust it accordingly .

But still governors will always be better !!

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones