1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Safely Remove USB Thumb Drive

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Davy49, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Davy49

Davy49 Newbie

Hello All,
    I use a Viewsonic gTablet, I already know that the android os is sure different than the ms windows os system I'm used to. With windows..when you plug in a usb 2.0 thumb drive, windows automatically recognizes it, and when you are finished using it, you just 'eject' it and then you can safely remove it. Is there ANY way to do this when using a android tablet ?
    Thanks,
    David

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

I would say as long as you have ensured there's no data transfer currently happening, you should be fine. I have a SGT 10.1, and it uses Kies for data transfer, so it's a little different.
    Hopefully a MOD can send this over to the gTab section (in the future, if the question is device specific, look to see if there is a subforum and ask it there. You'll get much better support).

3. Davy49

Davy49 Newbie

Dear dreadnatty08,
    The reason I posted my question in this forum was I didn't feel that the question was just a 'specific' one to the viewsonic gtab. I felt it was related to the android os in general. As I'm still learning more and more about android, I thought I'd start here first. Thanks for a reply..have a nice day !
    David :)

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Your question is fine here, Davy.

As to that question, the operating system of your computer, Windows in your case, as you say, either contains the drivers for the device you're wishing to connect, or it does not contain them. Windows has many drivers preinstalled, but not all (I'm always having to find drivers for various printers, etc for co-workers, etc).

The first thing to do when you get an Android device is to do a search online for the drivers for that device for your version of Windows (7, Vista, XP, etc), install them and test the connection (be sure to have "USB debugging" enabled in the application manager/development menu of your Android device).

Then you should be good to go. ;)

5. Davy49

Davy49 Newbie

Dear Frisco,
    I guess I didn't realize that I 'needed' a driver to use my centon usb 2.0 drive on my viewsonic gtablet. I did discover that I had to have my usb drive formatted in fat 32 in order for my tablet to see it, even then....there wasn't any communication shown to me on the notification bar on my gtab.
    Thanks,
    David