• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Safestrap won't flash ROM

thatpig

Lurker
Feb 2, 2015
I've never had to post on a forum before so bear with me please. I'm old a droid 3 for now (Phone broke). The old gingerbread software is terrible so I need ICS. I did the whole usual root and install safestrap process but the issue is whenever I try to flash a ROM in safestrap, specifically cyanogen mod 10.1 (for droid 3), I get this error: " unable to open zip file error flashing zip '/sdcard/cm-10.1-20140216.zip'

I've tried many different things such as downloading different versions of cyanogenmod (what I'm trying to flash) but I always get the same error. I could use ROM manager or do it manually, but would like to avoid messing with the phones stock ROM if possible. Any ideas anyone?

Info: I'm running a Droid 3 - 5.7.906XT862, Gingerbread (2.3.4) and it is rooted of course.
I'm on Safestrap 3.05 trying to flash cyanogenmod 10.1 solana (which is the one for the droid 3) The build was release 2/16/2014.
If you need any additional information please ask, and thanks to everyone who helps in advance.

Last edited:
Hello @thatpig and welcome to Android Forums - though I wish it could be under better circumstances. ;)

Since your rooting question sounds like it's specific to the Droid 3, I went ahead and moved your thread into the Droid 3 - All Things Root subforum. Hopefully a fellow user of the device will be able to lend some assistance. :)

In the meantime, have you looked through this thread over at XDA?

Good luck!

Upvote 0
It sounds like your zip file download was bad. If you have an external SD card, I'd put the zip file there - since you need to grab slot space from the internal storage that makes up /sdcard, you'll want to free up as much space there as possible.

A few things:

- All KEXEC ROMs like this must be installed in slot 1 on Safestrap 3
- You cannot use ROM Manager for this: it must be flashed on Safestrap
- the camera doesn't work on these ROMs.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Okay i downloaded another zip of it. Now I'm getting another error. It says error in /sdcard-ext/cm-10-3.zip (status 4)

Is this another bad download or am I doing something wrong.
Also any time I do anything (Attempt to install or wipe the cache) it always says E:Unable to mount '/system' (twmount) at the end. Does this mean anything important?

Upvote 0
[QUOTE="
Info: I'm running a Droid 3 - 5.7.906XT862, Gingerbread (2.3.4) and it is rooted of course.
I'm on Safestrap 3.05 trying to flash cyanogenmod 10.1 solana (which is the one for the droid 3) The build was release 2/16/2014.
If you need any additional information please ask, and thanks to everyone who helps in advance.[/QUOTE]

im trying to use my old Droid 3 for my girl to use unregistered. I already did a factory and bypass so it is functioning for its given purpose but i havent been able to find a reliable up to date root for it now a days, few i have found are OOOld and hyperlinks have been discontinued deleted useless now.
im on the Droid 3 2.3.4 5.7.906 same as u mentioned I was wondering if you could help me out accesing a root method for this that is current ie: still functioning / active download links etc.

Much appreciated if you could lend me a hand reply on here will work or if convenient and acceptable pm me a link or Download packs anything that will lead to my droid 3 rooted Thank you.

Upvote 0
The only way to root the droid 3 is with Dan Rosenberg's Motofail tools, which are still live and available from his site, here: http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2012/02/11/rooting-the-droid-4-a-failed-bounty-experiment/

It says that it's for the Droid 4, but it works for the Droid 3. I've rooted from both a Windows PC and a Mac; both worked fine for me. You'll end up with a stock phone that is rooted with the SU utility installed.

Let me know if you have trouble with that...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones