• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Safety steps prior to flashing a Rom

Back up apps with titanium.
Ensure all contacts are synced with Google.
Back up all sms with an sms back up app.
Make a note of your carrier APN settings just in case. You'll find this somewhere within settings, sorry cant remember where but its quite obvious.

The last step is the most important:
TAKE A FULL BACKUP FROM RECOVERY. If you have that you can go back to exactly how your phone was.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Only thing I can think to add is to check the requirements of the new ROM before flashing it (e.g. whether it needs a partitioned SD card), and in particular whether the ROM is for GSM or CDMA - most Desires are GSM, and hence so are most ROMs, so it's mainly CDMA owners who have to watch out for this.

As far as making sure you can return to your original state, and that you can transfer your data to the new ROM, Nicka has covered it for you :)

Reactions: littler20
Upvote 0
Thanks. How do I know whether my Desire is GSM or CDMA? If I have a recovery in place, am I correct in thinking that flashing the wrong sort of ROM won't brick the phone?
I've flashed ROMs on a San Francisco but my son gave me this Desire and it's a great phone apart from not having enough phone memory, hence my wanting to clear it down.
Regards

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones