• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root saintdice says hi...and help?

Hello, all.

I'm sure you see/hear this a lot...but I'm new to the Android thing. I've got an Eris. I'm not rooted or anything cool like that, but I'm increasingly tempted to do so. I've come here to see if it's something that I - one of the less tech-savvy people walking the face of the planet - can handle. I've read and watched tutorials on rooting and upgrading to 2.1, but I'm still a bit hesitant.

My main concern is if I will accidentally brick this thing after the initial install. I'm fairly confident I can make it through the root process without any problems, but I'm wondering if there is anything I could stumble upon afterward that could cause me grief.

Are there things to stay away from if you don't know everything about everything?

Basically I'm afraid of a wrong button or keystroke just screwing me for good.

So in summary...

Hi.

Advice?

Comfort?

Yay.

Hello, all.

I'm sure you see/hear this a lot...but I'm new to the Android thing. I've got an Eris. I'm not rooted or anything cool like that, but I'm increasingly tempted to do so. I've come here to see if it's something that I - one of the less tech-savvy people walking the face of the planet - can handle. I've read and watched tutorials on rooting and upgrading to 2.1, but I'm still a bit hesitant.

My main concern is if I will accidentally brick this thing after the initial install. I'm fairly confident I can make it through the root process without any problems, but I'm wondering if there is anything I could stumble upon afterward that could cause me grief.

Are there things to stay away from if you don't know everything about everything?

So in summary...

Hi.

Advice?

Comfort?

Yay.
Welcome the the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

please ask your questions in the eris rooting section of this forum ...

i have moved this post to there out of introductions ....

Upvote 0
Hello, all.

So in summary...

Hi.

Advice?

Comfort?

Yay.
I got one question for your.....
Are you on windows?
if you are use this app.
This app makes the root procress painless
it tells you exactly what to and when to do it. Even on most of the commands it runs for you automatically.
I think the only thing you need to do is click on the trackball for the most part, the app does the rest.
There are two things you need though, you must be on windows and have .net 4 installed which he gives a link to in the thread. I've used it to root my replacement phones and it hasn't let me down yet. It even lets you donwload the roms from within the app so there is 0 chance of downloading the wrong rom and going to leak or something like that. Just read the thread im going to point you to, incase you have any questions, or go to the irc at irc.thefuzz4.net
Room:#erisroothelp
The developer of the app usually hangs out there, and is more than happy to answer questions or walk you through the procedure.
[Application] Eris Master Application [R00T] - update - xda-developers
More info there ^^
Hope this gives you the confidence to free your phone and root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones