• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Same Number, Different Extension

Vlad Soare

Jun 13, 2015
Bucharest, Romania
Hello,

I have three contacts that have the same phone number, but different extensions. Something like:
Contact no. 1: 555-9999999,1234
Contact no. 2: 555-9999999,2121
Contact no. 3: 555-9999999,5678

When I call any of them from my contacts list, the phone dials the number and the corresponding extension, with a two seconds pause in between. So far, so good. However:
- During the call it's always the name of contact no. 1 that's displayed, regardless of which one was actually called.
- If I use the recent calls list to dial a previously dialled number, it will always call contact no. 1, irrespective of which one has actually been called the last time.
- If I call contact no. 2 or 3 and the call is dropped for any reason, the "redial" command in my car will call contact no. 1.
- The Contacts app warns me periodically that I have duplicate contacts which should be merged.

Is there any solution to this? Do all Androids have this annoying bug, or is it just a Samsung thing?
Thank you.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones