• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

same old story

oOMavrikOo

Android Expert
Aug 30, 2010
I've noticed a trend. every time I boot my phone up in the morning before work, that day I have the absolutely worst battery life. if I do a reboot the night before and take it off the charger the next morning, I have pretty decent (not great) battery life. I've figured out that it takes a couple hours for things to finish syncing, apps to load, etc. now I've tried everything under the sun to improve battery life...no change.
this brings me to a stern conclusion...isn't this why I rooted? poor battery was a major factor in my decision to void the warranty, and now I'm experiencing the same problems only sprint doesn't give a damn. I keep hearing all these stories about how other people's heros are like miniature evos, and I'm still stuck in an android rut. don't get me wrong, I love my phone and still proclaim its wonders to all my family and friends, but when I look at my very much inferior motarola i465 (work phone) and see that it can last a good 3 days without charge and under normal use, I'm beside myself. I can't even go a day without electricity with this thing.
maybe my phone is set up wrong. maybe my phone is "different" than everyone else's. or just maybe...we as people can never really have our cake and eat it too.

i hate to rub salt in your wound but im running the stable CM6.1 and im doin better than 12 hours on a charge. the phone usually comes off the charger around 730, and with regular use, will maybe (once a week maybe) hit yellow around 1130 or midnight when it goes back on the charger for the night.

What rom are you using? overclock at all? constant widget updates? something is draining your battery prematurely

Upvote 0
I've noticed a trend. every time I boot my phone up in the morning before work, that day I have the absolutely worst battery life. if I do a reboot the night before and take it off the charger the next morning, I have pretty decent (not great) battery life. I've figured out that it takes a couple hours for things to finish syncing, apps to load, etc. now I've tried everything under the sun to improve battery life...no change.
this brings me to a stern conclusion...isn't this why I rooted? poor battery was a major factor in my decision to void the warranty, and now I'm experiencing the same problems only sprint doesn't give a damn. I keep hearing all these stories about how other people's heros are like miniature evos, and I'm still stuck in an android rut. don't get me wrong, I love my phone and still proclaim its wonders to all my family and friends, but when I look at my very much inferior motarola i465 (work phone) and see that it can last a good 3 days without charge and under normal use, I'm beside myself. I can't even go a day without electricity with this thing.
maybe my phone is set up wrong. maybe my phone is "different" than everyone else's. or just maybe...we as people can never really have our cake and eat it too.

Why do you reboot every day, is this something you've always done? I don't believe this affects the battery life in any way but not sure why you need to reboot your phone everyday. Are you running CM6? If so, have you tried using the toggle widgets for things? Such as 3G... If your phone is having to work hard to find service, your battery will suffer, simple as that. I know sometimes in certain places, my battery suffers because it's trying to sync data for gmail, texts, weather widgets, mobile buzz widgets, facebook.... Just a thought

Upvote 0
I use cm6.1rc1 with the latest uncapped kernel, I have toggle widgets, I am over/underclocked, I use autokiller and keep
memory around 40, I use juice defender lite, I use weather & toggle Widgets clock and sync every 3 hours, I use a Bible widget that only updates once a day, I did all the steps in the setting up cm6 thread...I've tried everything. I use systempanel to monitor any battery hogs and the only thing ever at the top of the list is is the android system itself. and I don't reboot every night. I do it every couple of days to keep the system running smooth.

this is my story. can someone chime in?

Upvote 0
I use cm6.1rc1 with the latest uncapped kernel, I have toggle widgets, I am over/underclocked, I use autokiller and keep
memory around 40, I use juice defender lite, I use weather & toggle Widgets clock and sync every 3 hours, I use a Bible widget that only updates once a day, I did all the steps in the setting up cm6 thread...I've tried everything. I use systempanel to monitor any battery hogs and the only thing ever at the top of the list is is the android system itself. and I don't reboot every night. I do it every couple of days to keep the system running smooth.

this is my story. can someone chime in?

Have you wiped your battery stats? Simple things like that can give a better indication of your battery life

Upvote 0
I have a rooted Hero running CM 6.0 and I have discovered that the biggest battery killer seems to be the cellular connection...

For unrelated reasons, I use another phone, and use Wifi only on my Hero. It has been 2 days since I charged mine, and I am at about 40% battery left. I regularly play games and perform other tasks with the Hero, so it is not completely idle. I am only on wi-fi at home, so for about 12+ hours per day. During that time I do all my syncing etc.

Battery life can be worse if you are in an area with a weak signal, since cell phones increase the power to reach distant towers... I don't know for sure if the Hero does this, but my ex-wife drained a battery on her cell phone every day until I told her that she should quit putting it in the filing cabinet at work, then the battery lasted for days between charges.

Upvote 0
I feel your pain. My battery sucks. I have tried ROM after ROM, I barely have anything turned on as far as background devices. I can literally watch my battery die if I use the phone. 3 minutes on the net and a phone call or text and I lose 6-10& battery. I get no more than 7 8 hours of use from the phone. and that is still curbing my use because of the battery..... I can't believe it when other people say they get a wehole day and plenty of battery left. This is the one thing that really gets under my skin with this phone. Other than that I love it, but the battery is a huge deal.

Upvote 0
Not 100% sure on the battery tweak, but I think so.

Try fully charge, wipe stats, then drain to zero. Fully charge, drain to zero, fully charge, drain to zero. If you did it the opposite way that could be part of your problem.

I did it the way andygu3 described in the setting up cm6 thread. I'll try it again to make sure. do I have to do this each time I flash a new rom?

@andygu3. if I flash the battery tweak can I use terminal emulator to run the command lines? I used universal androot to root so I don't have adb (my PC can't find the drivers for connectivity purposes and I haven't tried pdanet yet). also, I'm a little scared to try this though. I've never done anything involving command lines.

Upvote 0
I did it the way andygu3 described in the setting up cm6 thread. I'll try it again to make sure. do I have to do this each time I flash a new rom?

@andygu3. if I flash the battery tweak can I use terminal emulator to run the command lines? I used universal androot to root so I don't have adb (my PC can't find the drivers for connectivity purposes and I haven't tried pdanet yet). also, I'm a little scared to try this though. I've never done anything involving command lines.

I'm too lazy too look for that :p

Nah, once usually will suffice unless you flash a new kernel or RUU or something like that.

Upvote 0

Collin sets out instructions to use in terminal, just don't write adb

Latest Froyo/Hero Links

Upvote 0
I wiped the battery stats this morning before I took it off the charger. how many times should I let the phone die then fully charge again?

also...is it ok to restore to a 2.1 nandroid while I'm letting the phone drop to zero, then restore my current 2.2 nandroid before the phone dies? I was wanting to do a prl update. I haven't done one in about a month or so. will doing that affect the battery stats?

Upvote 0
I wiped the battery stats this morning before I took it off the charger. how many times should I let the phone die then fully charge again?

also...is it ok to restore to a 2.1 nandroid while I'm letting the phone drop to zero, then restore my current 2.2 nandroid before the phone dies? I was wanting to do a prl update. I haven't done one in about a month or so. will doing that affect the battery stats?

You should only have to recalibrate once;)

I would NOT flash over but that's my opinion. If you battery life sucks so bad it should not take very long to drain:rolleyes:, then after you recharge back to full, update prl

Upvote 0
that's what I was thinking.

tell me what you think...I've been off the charger for 3.5 hours, been online twice for about 5 mins a piece, sent 2 txt, and have used Pandora for about an hour. I'm down to 70%, and that's before I started typing this. is that normal?

also, can the overclocking be causing my battery drain?

Upvote 0
that's what I was thinking.

tell me what you think...I've been off the charger for 3.5 hours, been online twice for about 5 mins a piece, sent 2 txt, and have used Pandora for about an hour. I'm down to 70%, and that's before I started typing this. is that normal?

also, can the overclocking be causing my battery drain?

Maybe you should be at 80%, but give or take. I think once you recalibrate the battery, maybe you will have a better indication on your battery life.

Overclocking might cause battery drain but I believe the min/max settings that you have are good, I would not change

I believe I saw your oc settings somewhere, what are they?

Upvote 0
768-518 main

480-245 screen off

I've been using Pandora off and on all day to help with the battery drain but never expected to be at 15% in 7.5 hours. that's crappy even for my earlier frustrations. I hope wiping the stats and using the battery tweak help, otherwise I'm going back to sense. I don't want to, but I had way better battery than I do now. it wasn't great, but better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones