1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Same versions, different interfaces?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by seabach, May 19, 2011.

1. seabach

seabach Lurker

My family has recently changed over to android phones and I love it. I own the Samsung Galaxy Indulge 4g lte (metro pcs), my mother has the LG Optimus M (metro pcs) and my father has just gotten the HTC Inspire 4g. I noticed that all of the interfaces were different. Is this because of the different phone manufacturers? is it at all possible to get per say the HTC interface onto my samsung? I'm new to android so I don't know much about the customization just yet (the idea of 'rooting' kinda intimidates me.. don't know how to do it and it voids the warranty, no?) Any assistance would be helpful, excuse my ignorance.
    my phone
    fathers phone
    mothers phone

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Each manufacturer can choose to put their own interfaces and tweaks to the phones they make. Manufacturers do this for various reasons. Some of the reasons is to differentiate their phones from other Android manufacturer's phones and to push selected services (their own or business partners') to the user of their phone. Some of the additions can be perceived as added value features. Some can be perceived as unwanted bloat ware. Sometimes, certain features are restricted as requested by carriers.

It is possible to remove this interface and use the default one, but it generally requires more knowledge than a basic user has.

3. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

There are rooting subforums and guides all over the internet. Yes, it does void your warranty. However, it's a software change (i.e not permanent). You can revert to stock should a warranty claim be necessary. Your call if it's worth it or not.

Just to clarify to the OP: this was the intent behind Android.