1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Sammy 10.1 Looks Like an iPad2...Feels Like an iPad

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bangjr, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Bangjr

Bangjr Member
    None

May 4, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Had a chance to play with the 10.1 last night at a local mall (SJ Valley Fair). First impression - sure looks and feels like an iPad2...heh heh not that there's anything wrong with that. The part that gets me is that Sammy is going the Apple route too - need HDMI, you gotta buy an adapter for that, an USB to HDMI adapter. The sales rep said that anything you want to connect to the 10.1 you will need to purchase a specific adapter...sure sounds like Apple to me. If you ask me that's a major & EPIC FAIL!!!

Advertisement

2. falconeight

falconeight Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2010
    Platoon Sergeant
    Colorado Springs
    Are you serious? Do you know how many Ipads have been sold? Stop hating especially on the Ipad. Sure it not for people trying to be cool, but you can't take away the fact that they sell out all over the world. The Galaxy tab will do better than any honeycomb device out right now.

3. macprv

macprv Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    Im just speculating here but.. adding usb's and hdmi's and other ports to the tablet could bring the price up and also impact the device thickness...

anyways it would had been cool if samsung had chosen something more standard.. like like the MHL... its like a microusb (so its small) you can even used a regular microusb cable so no new cables required.. it also outputs 1080p and it can charge the device as well

4. viperman2008

viperman2008 Well-Known Member
    None

Samsung had to redesign the original 10.1 (now the 10.1v) after the iPad 2 was announced. This new one is thinner and lighter to match and beat the iPad in those specs so designed similar to an iPad is no surprise to me.

Seems annoying to me that android is supposed to be about openness and every manufacturer tries some form of lock in to their device while that seems like the apple strategy. I guess hardware manufacturers will always try lock in while software is more open (at times)

5. lilo

lilo Member
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    The reason for needing those adapters is very simple: once the table thickness gets less than some limit most traditional ports simply can not fit into the case (not that Apple did not bring this dongle madness long before its devices got that slim but that's a different story).