• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sams Club $99 Evo LTE rooting question.

AndroidMax

Android Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
Hello! I am going to pick up my $98.98 HTC EVO 4G LTE tonight. Should I allow the phone to do any updates to the OS/system or should I just go straight to rooting?

My previous phone, the EVO 3D is rooted with cleanrom 2.9.5. Any advice on which rom to pick that is similar to that also greatly appreicated.

Thanks in advance!

I would advise you not to take any updates if you want to root it. I guess there is a chance it might have the older hboot and you could get as far as S-off if you want. I'm not sure what the numbers involved are.

The latest one can be rooted with Regaw's updated method and I think it puts the TWRP recovery on it as well. We can't currently get S-off with it though.

just my 2 cents. :)

See this thread for details on the latest OTA.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte...adios-inside-breaks-s-off-exploit-others.html

Here is a link to Regaw's latest one click method for whichever h-boot you have. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1690919

Upvote 0
Ok, just fyi, it looks like the older h-boot version is 1.12.0000. That is the one that can be 'upgraded' to S-off using the Lazy Panda method if you were to decide to go that route, which I think is the best, myself.

I don't keep track of all these numbers. Glad I lucked out and got mine before the OTA locked things down. Who knows though, they might be able to figure out how to do more with the latest one too.

Enjoy your phone!

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
This confuses me. Do you s-off before you activate the phone? I assumed that during activation the phone updates.

No, after you activate the phone and it has access to the network, the phone will check for updates at regular intervals. If one is available your phone willprompt you to accept it or deny it.

S-OFF is a process you do after the phone is activated and perm-rooted.

What RX stated above is that your phone was updated when you received it, so S-OFF for the new hboot hasn't been found yet. You can still gain root access with htcdev unlock though. That style of root access was provided by HTC and its almost as good as S-off root. The htcdev root method will be available for each update, the S-OFF method will only be available as the developers find a way to circumvent the phones security lock.

It's a little confusing at first, until the lingo settles in. If you have any questions, just let us know. :)

Upvote 0
No, after you activate the phone and it has access to the network, the phone will check for updates at regular intervals. If one is available your phone willprompt you to accept it or deny it.

S-OFF is a process you do after the phone is activated and perm-rooted.

What RX stated above is that your phone was updated when you received it, so S-OFF for the new hboot hasn't been found yet. You can still gain root access with htcdev unlock though. That style of root access was provided by HTC and its almost as good as S-off root. The htcdev root method will be available for each update, the S-OFF method will only be available as the developers find a way to circumvent the phones security lock.

It's a little confusing at first, until the lingo settles in. If you have any questions, just let us know. :)

Yeah I get the terms, I just forgot what happens during the activiation process. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones