1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Samsun/Android default dialer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by timpgibson, Jan 4, 2012.

1. timpgibson

timpgibson Lurker
    None

Sep 28, 2011
    I need to bypass the default installed dialler and use one from the Marketplace. (Android 2.3.3 & 2.3.4 - Galaxy S2)

The solution I am trying to achieve is for all outgoing calls (not that bothered about incoming) to be handled entirely by a third part dialler such as Go Contacts EX or TouchPal Dialer. The problem I have is that they install fine but when entering the phone number in to the alternative dialler, the default dialler comes up instead after tapping the call button.

I have done a great deal of reading on this but the most common quoted solution is not available on either of the two SII's that I have.

Going in to the settings/applications/manage applications/all and then trying to clear the Launch be Default is not available (both phones)

Installing any third party dialler does not bring up a prompt to select a new default.

It is essential for the default dialler to be removed from the calling process and if necessary, will even consider deleting it from the phone and replace with a new file/app in the systems directory.

Stumped! Any suggestions/solutions.

Advertisement

2. WilfMoralee

WilfMoralee Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Why?

Not sure go contacts has a dialer embedded, just the lead up to, and then hands off to phone when you press call.

3. timpgibson

timpgibson Lurker
    None

Sep 28, 2011
    To answer the question why, because the default dialler is too slow at dialling long numbers. The DTMF tones are too long with too bigger space between. This means that a long number combination can take up to 15-25 seconds to complete. I have a technical reason why this is too long and there are no settings in this particular combination of Samsung/Android to alter to short tones. Therefore, the solution available is to replace the default dialler with one that will send the tones much faster.