• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung 2.1-Signal strength display stuck

hi all, bit of a curly one here: first off:
1.) Model Number Samsung i5700 Spica Galaxy Portal (included all its export names)
2.) Firmware Version 2.1-update 1
3.) Baseband Version I570-EXXJD1
4.) Kernel Version 2.6.29 root@SE-s608 #2
5.) Build Number Eclair.XXJE4

I'm in New Zealand with an unlocked carrier (2degrees Mobile) in fact i'm staff at the carrier. I work a lot with the RAN/RF network so love the RF Signal Tracker application.

Problem is (and its not specific to the app) is my signal "bars" on home screen change fine with coverage (2 and 3G, edge, GPRS etc etc)
BUT if i select from "Settings>>Status>" my signal strength is always stuck at -81dbm 16ASU, despite it going alot higher and lower than this in reality and as shown by the bars.
I wouldnt actually care but any app (like RF signal tracker, or Antennas etc) must hook that value from the core somewhere, thus they dont record/update correctly.
My FW etc was the latest i could pull from samsung-firmware.webs.com.
on 1.5 it updated fine. I have reflashed from Eclair.XXJB2 to JE4 with no change.

Any good ideas?

Cheers
Dylan

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones