• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung 9,000 mAh portable battery pack

Muckle Dabuckle

Feb 10, 2014
I just picked up the "loyalty program" Samsung 9,000 mAh battery pack from Samsung's Web site:

Samsung Universal USB Extended Battery Up Pack for Smartphones and Tablets includes cables (9000mAh)

If anyone else has one of these can you tell me what is supposed to be on the back of the pack? On mine there is a rectangular indent like there is supposed to be something there (I'll post a picture when I get home). There are two small holes in the indent where I think I can see inside the pack. On youtube videos it appears there is supposed to be at least a tech spec label (there is no sticker or anything painted on my pack with any battery info). It almost appears like there should be a piece of plastic AND a label that would snap into this indent. Appears to be no serial number anywhere on the pack. I spent a few dollars more to buy it directly from Samsung instead of Amazon because I figured I wouldn't have to deal with possibly getting a counterfeit. I've private messaged Samsung on Facebook asking them about this too. Would it be safe to use it like this or should I return it?

Anyway. It's a really nice looking pack and it fully charged in about six hours.

Attachments

• 20140919_181150.jpg
    20140919_181150.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 89
Sorry to knock this thread back on top, but my battery pack just started making loud buzzing noises (when charging my phone) and was wondering if anyone knows what that means? I'm guessing it is not good for a battery pack to make loud buzzing noises, but who knows maybe it's normal. Never had this issue in the few months I've owned it. I'll try a different charging cable later on to make sure that isn't the culprit.

I'm worried that if this battery pack is still under warranty (I have to check) that Samsung won't take it back because my battery pack (direct from Samsung's Web site) shipped without a serial number label on the pack (I contacted Samsung on Facebook and their Web site about the missing label and they just kept referring me to different departments -- never was resolved).

Upvote 0
I still have an e-receipt somewhere. Not sure if it will do any good. I just found the warranty information and the warranty is good for one year so I'm good there but in paragraph (d) of the warranty it states that equipment that has the serial number removed is not covered. Hopefully this wasn't purposeful on their part to get rid of old batteries and then not have to deal with any returns.

I've had my eye on a few Anker batteries. I'll have to try one. My portable Sony pack still works awesome a year later too.

Edit: I tried a really thick usb cable (the Samsung one is super thin) that came with my Sony battery pack and the Samsung battery still made the loud buzzing sound. I thought maybe there was some interference. Obviously not. I think I just may eat the money on this one and never buy a Samsung pack again. I wouldn't feel comfortable sending a bad battery through the mail even if Samsung agreed to take it back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones