• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung A50 compass and tidying UI query

Prest0

Lurker
Jun 15, 2019
1) Is the compass on the Samsung A50 accurate or does it rely on GPS Satellites?
2) Is there any way to make an "Image" copy of a Samsung A50 and then restore it if you mess up the UI (see 3 below)?
3) How easy is it to "clean up" the Samsung A50 display by deleting unwanted Apps - i.e. most of them?

1. all phones rely on gps for positioning so there is no internal compass.

2.like dannydt said you will need to root to make a nandroid backup. which is an identical copy of everything on your phone including all of its data.

3.again this will require root to delete any bloatware that came with the device.

here is a guide to root your phone from xda:
How to Flash TWRP on A50 (A505F/D)

i did find this over at xda which i thought is very interesting:
heavy debloat/ No Root/ still OTA
not sure exactly how it works, but if you have the time, it might be worth reading.

Reactions: Prest0 and Dannydet
Upvote 0
Thanks for that guys, much appreciated.
Being my first Smartphone and having heard horror stories about the possible consequences of "rooting" one I am reluctant to do that.
I have worked with and built Windows PCs for years, it has been my standard practice for ages when building a new system to use Acronis to make "Image" files as I go along to allow me to restore to a precise point in the event of mishap - I hoped that something similar would be possible with Android - disappointed :(

As to the compass, I was under the impression that some Smartphones include a magnetometer?

Thanks again :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I have spent days trying to find out from the optimistically named Samsung "Support" team whether or not the Samsung Galaxy A50 includes a Magnetometer - it doesn't.

From another source, I have got the following:
Upon checking, the phone only has the Geomagnetic Sensor, which is used to measure the Earth's magnetic field to provide absolute reference and heading.

Via Google and Wikipedia I get the impression that a "Geomagnetic Sensor" is pretty much a Magnetometer.

Can anyone please tell me a "Geomagnetic Sensor" actually means and more importantly, whether it gives an accurate compass reading, particularly when one is stationery?

edited: Found a bit more here https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/sensors_position - sounds a bit more reassuring.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones