• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung ain't happy.

Sure we've had combusting Samsung phone stories before. One was an S3, but turned out that the phone had apparently been microwaved. Do we know any more background on this one, like was the battery a fake or a third-party one or a design flaw or something? Samsung may want to conduct their own investigation on it. IANAL but if someone posts a video to YouTube of their phone apparently catching fire, they're blaming the manufacturer and it turns out it was deliberate or not the manufacturer's fault, e.g. it was microwaved, I believe that's defamation.

We've also had plenty of burning iPhone and laptop stories over the years. It's LiPo batteries, if they malfunction or have a manufacturing defect, they are potentially very dangerous.

Upvote 0
I have a few Samsung products and I like them. (2 phones and a computer monitor). Battery powered devices catching fire is not a new thing. It has happened to several types of devices in the past. With how compact they try to make everything, I'm surprised that it happens at little as it does. What bothers me with this incident, is Samsung's attempt to "sweep it under the rug". To have a defective product is one thing, but to deliberately try and hide it, is a reprehensible act on their part.

Upvote 0
Stuff happens but Samsung is ridiculous........

I wonder how all the Samsung fanboys will defend this?

I am a Samsung fanboy! I love their tablets, I think they have great software like S Note which is really useful for school.
But if this were to happen to me I would have hoped that they would respond like Apple would. I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means. However I do know that they still have #1 customer service. That's a fact.

However if Samsung were to respond to me like this, I'll be calling my Lawyer to sue the company I love so dearly. To sue the company not to just get money for damages, but to teach the company that they need to be open about this, and earn their respect. Sure they can sell millions of products but if they have no respect, who really wants to buy their computers? Look at Microsoft, in the years they have lost much of their respect for Vista and Windows 8. That's hurting their sales, anyway I'm off topic.

I am a Samsung fanboy! Still am, but I am not happy with how they responded to this case or even all the other cases. What ever idiot at Samsung came up with those rules needs to be removed from the company. Still, I would love to work for Samsung one day.

Come to think of it, this reminds me of the HP Chromebook 11 that I am using now. Google and HP pulled every device from all local stores, and online. They did this before Black Friday and they probably took a hit for that too. However, some devices experienced extreme heat, and melting with their charging brick. Once they were aware of this they pulled the device and make a public statement.

http://sf-ind.blogspot.com/2013/11/hp-chromebook-11-review-heat.html
"Google and HP are pausing sales of the HP Chromebook 11 after receiving a small number of user reports that some chargers included with the device have been damaged due to overheating during use. We are working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to identify the appropriate corrective action, and will provide additional information and instructions as soon as we can.

In the meantime, customers who have purchased an HP Chromebook 11 should not use the original charger provided with the product. In the interim they may continue using their HP Chromebook 11 with any other Underwriters Laboratories-listed micro-USB charger, for example one provided with a tablet or smartphone. We apologize for the inconvenience. You can see our FAQ’s here as well."

I'm glad that they did this. Respect is what counts. Currently, I use my Nexus 7 Charger to charge my Chromebook until they announce the new charger. Then they will send me the new one free. This is a much better approach than denying me a new device (or charger). That's why I buy from Google and can count on Google. Other companies, I'm a bit hesitant to buy from because I have come to trust Google so much. This is probably how many Apple people feel. They are just satisfied with Apple because they know that if something ever goes wrong they can count on their customer support to help them, not what Samsung did. Shame on them.

Upvote 0
Samsung should have just admitted it - sometimes the "next big thing" has a glitch, so replace it, and move on. Probably could have had some decent publicity for handling the problem right.

Sony had some kind of issues with their PDAs. I think it was the battery at the time. Mine was showing no symptoms, but here came a box and an RMA from Sony without my asking for it. They must have found every registered owner of that PDA. It was the TG-50.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones