• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung and AT&T Announce OTA Update to Fix Captivate GPS Issues

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
Those with a bone to pick regarding the handling of GPS support on the Samsung Captivate should get some relief in the coming weeks, as Samsung and AT&T have announced an over-the-air update for the handset that should corral the hit or miss location functionality plaguing the device. The update will also bring other enhancements [...]

More...

I updated my phone around 11.30 am eastern time. Took about 15 min to complete the process. GPS lock is almost instantaneous specially outdoors after the update. Indoors, it gets the lock within a min or so (which was almost impossible to do before the update). GPSTest app shows around 11 or 12 satellites in view with locking to atleast 5 to 6 satellites. Was 5 to 6 satellites locking to 1 or 2 after couple of mins under clear sky before the update.

GPS accuracy is still iffy. It just keeps bouncing anywhere from 10 feet of your location (very good) to almost on another street (very bad) but the difference is that before the update it would just keep on showing you on another street until you have travelled about half a mile to realize that you haven't changed the course and then re-route to come back to actual route. Now it corrects itself pretty quickly making it more reliable than before.

Other updates I have noticed is a new youtube application and youtube widget. Youtube app is now like the one for HTC EVO 4G where you get a HQ button right on the playback screen and in settings menu you can setup the app to always start videos in HQ by default. Youtube widget is now alive and shows you recommended videos or any updated videos in your subscriptions automatically.

I already had Quickoffice application installed from market so can't confirm if this update added that or not.

Please add other changes you might have noticed.

Edit: One more thing I have noticed is that screen brightness at the minimum setting is lower than before. I used to keep my brightness at the minimum for indoor use but not anymore because its dimmer than before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones