• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Apps - what is the point?

Samsung App Store exists because of Bada OS, their own proprietary OS, then they expanded it to include Android. This is where they release either Samsung specific apps or promos. For example, as stated above, some games/apps can be had for free. I got Dead Space for free from there. Other times there are discounted prices when compared to those on the Play Store.

Upvote 0
The real point of any app store is to make money. If you but an app in Samsung's app store Samsung makes money. If you buy an app in the Play Store, Samsung doesn't make any money.

Exactly - to be more specific -
Samsung can make $ in 3 ways with their new app store:

1) Charging a percentage of the paid apps income.

2) Promoting free apps is a big business - some free apps have a high user value (dating, gambling, social games etc) and the developers are willing to pay $1 for a US install easy. This might not be the case yet with Samsung but other app stores like Appbrain, 1mobile and task apps like Appredeem and Junowallet make a living promoting free apps.

3) Promoting samsung Bada and generally showing Samsung's connection with the app world - as a company that is not only making devices, but is also well established in the user's mobile experience side.

Take the amazon app store for example, a user that is downloading apps from the Amazon app might also go there to buy anything mobile - a win win for Amazon...

Kapish!? :)

Upvote 0
One thing I noticed with downloads from the Samsung store is that updates were a wreck. I had angry birds from them, and after the update, all my data was gone. If you download an app that is also on the Play store, sometimes it messes up and gets updated by the play store instead of the samsung store. I wonder if they have fixed that by now..

Upvote 0
I do agree with Paradroid. Price is one factor that I always consider whenever I would buy Apps. There are those that you can get at a much lower price from Samsung store, but there are also those that are sold at a much higher price. I'm quite stingy so I buy apps from any store that offers them at a low price.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones