1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Samsung Attain 4G - Possible to recover?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by madscientist55, Apr 23, 2012.

1. madscientist55

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I am helping my wife's sister recover her phone. She took it to some guy she found on craigslist to root phone and the dude ended up bricking her phone, at least partially. When I hit the power + down, there is a screen that comes up that allows to either boot the phone or install custom ROM. If I select continue, the phone does not boot. It goes black, nothing happens. If I select to install ROM and use Odin, the process goes through and the phone reboots but nothing happens. It won't boot. Is there a way to recover the phone to the factory ROM? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Android Expert

Not at the moment...

He repartitioned the phone...

Some people here are working towards a fix but don't hold your breath.

I did the same to my first phone.

My advice would be to take it to metro and try getting it replaced on warrentee

3. madscientist55

Thank you for the quick response. Please keep me posted of a fix. She bought the phone at a Metro Authorized Reseller on 01/20. I know she has the receipt because she showed it to me. Not sure if that store will replace the phone 3 months later. Do you know if Metro provides warranty for these phones?

4. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Extreme Android User

:/

all i need is someone with 20 mins of time and willing to do a factory reset :/

5. madscientist55

I encourage someone to help by helping Shabby. I have read there are several people with the same problem. A few minutes of your time will help everyone. If I had a working phone I would do it.

Thanks.

6. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Android Expert

I'm here if you need... gtalk Secondgenmonkey

7. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Android Expert

Lol simultaneous posts

8. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Android Expert

I forgot two things...

1. Always check forums before Craig's list. Not just here but as many credible ones as possible. And look into the person who you will be sending or taking a phone to.
    If someone offers me money to root a phone I give them the info. If its app rooted phone (z4, Gingerbreak) I root it on the spot. They pay me what they think its worth to them... its free for me so f-it.

2. Check the forums and follow directions closely, if you don't you can get a brick. Check all steps again before pressing any enter, start or OK buttons you see.
    If you follow closely and heed warnings you will be OK.

Oh, if you are going to pay anyone it should be the guy who got root on the phone to begin with ;)

9. madscientist55

Thank you, guys. You are awesome.

10. mobileplay

mobileplay Well-Known Member

Be more than happy to help if a factory reset wont brick the phone, and tell me how to dump partitions. Have windows and nix, whichever is easier. Even willing to connect phone and let u take over with teamviewer if that would be easier for you.

11. madscientist55

Token, I agree. That was my sister-in-law. She did it without asking me first and came to me only after the fact. She already learned the lesson.

12. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Android Expert

Lol. Don't feel bad. I actually bricked my first attain when I did the same thing

13. mobileplay

mobileplay Well-Known Member

Talked to shabby earlier, factory reset phone and let him connect to my pc, hopefully he got everything needed to help restore people phone who repartitioned by mistake. We all owe him thanks, along with the other devs helping on this phone. It is much appreciated all of you

genovdot and Havocx23 like this.
  14. madscientist55

Mobile, thanks a lot for helping. Of course, big thanks go to shabby for all his efforts. Please let me know when the recovery is ready. Thanks a lot!

15. Shabbypenguin

ill prolly have a test file up later today, no promises tho

16. madscientist55

Thanks. Let me know. Heck, the phone is unusable so I am willing to try anything at this point.

17. Shabbypenguin

uploading now, can someone with a busted attain join teh irc in my sig please? :)

18. madscientist55

Got a busted phone. Let me know what I need to do. Thanks.

19. madscientist55

Any update on this? Have a bricked phone with me here. I would like to try the potential fix you have. Thanks.

20. cmadd

cmadd Lurker

I am willing to do a factory reset. Have no problem with it at all. Ive got time any night after 6 oclock. lemme know cmadd30@gmail.com

21. madscientist55

Is the potential fix ready to be tested? Thanks.

22. Shabbypenguin

i had someone testing in teh irc seems this phone has two separate data partitions. ive been looking on ebay to either find a SUPER cheap attain or buy one in a store and return it this weekend

23. madscientist55

If you send me an address, I can ship this one to you. You can test with it for as long as it takes, then you can ship it back. That way you don't have to invest on buying one now.

24. Shabbypenguin

that would be great for testing that i got the files right, however i need one that boots in order to be able to grab the files i need

25. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Android Expert

If my backup optimus comes I can send a working attain.

Samsung Galaxy Attain 4G Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Attain 4G release date was February 2012. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 3MP camera, 512GB RAM, processor, and 1650mAh battery.

February 2012
Release Date
Reviews