• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Blues

sarahdgill

Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
Based on what i read here yesterday, i went and had an update done at the Sprint Store to help my battery life.

Now a coupla things:

my google calendar background is BLACK now. =( random, but i don't like it. Why would that have happened? Can i get it back to a white background?

Also, my browser is all wack. I can't sign in to yahoo....things aren't loading properly, Facebook isn't working, it's all very slow....Is this connected to the update?

And another question: I just attached my USB cord for the first time, but my computer (macbook) is not detecting the phone. Advice?

THANKS!

And another question: I just attached my USB cord for the first time, but my computer (macbook) is not detecting the phone. Advice?

THANKS!

In your notification bar at the top of you phone you should see the USB symbol, pull that down click on it and it should ask you to mount the PC and then the computer should see it. I don't have a mac but that is what I had to do.

http://androidforums.com/13558-usb-drive.html

Upvote 0
Try unmounting the sd card and restarting the phone:

Menu->Settings->Sd Card & phone storage->unmount sd card->Restart phone

This usually works for me when my phone doesn't want to connect to the computer, if this doesn't work. Maybe Mac isn't compatible? Steve jobs it trying to ruin your android experience xD

Upvote 0
On the black background for the calendar... I'm just guessing at this, but I was reading about the AMOLED screens in our phones that they have made a big deal about. (Active-matrix organic light-emitting diode or AMOLED) are basically a series of led lights that light up when needed for display (anything other than black).. vs LCD that has a constant backlight behind the colors to light the screen. So.. in my theory.. the more black there is on the screen... the less power and therefore battery that is needed to produce the display because you are lighting less of the diodes. It may not make a huge difference.. but when you're trying to stretch the battery life as best as possible like we are on these things... everything helps... once again.. just guessing, but it made sense to me.. lol :D

Upvote 0
Based on what i read here yesterday, i went and had an update done at the Sprint Store to help my battery life.

Now a coupla things:

my google calendar background is BLACK now. =( random, but i don't like it. Why would that have happened? Can i get it back to a white background?

Also, my browser is all wack. I can't sign in to yahoo....things aren't loading properly, Facebook isn't working, it's all very slow....Is this connected to the update?

THANKS!

1. Google Calendar - Yup, the update updated google calendar and the background now is black. If you have root, you can push the old google calendar apk back over it (some people have done this since the black background is ugly). Here's a link on it:

Login

I think something else turned out to have a black background as well through the update (E-mail I believe).

2. Not sure what's going on with your browser... try updating your profile and PRL... other than that, it sounds like something's not working right.

3. Try rebooting your phone & computer. Other than that, I'm not a mac person. :p hehe...

Upvote 0
Ok, i found this (below) based on the link above, but i don't understand. (not a developer).
Is it something that can be explained to me here relatively easily? If anyone feels like it, depsite the battery issue, i really would like to fix the calendar back to white.

For people that want the white calendar back:
rm /system/app/Calendar.apk
rm /system/app/Calendar.odex
push the attached Calendar.apk to /system/app

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Ok, i found this (below) based on the link above, but i don't understand. (not a developer).
Is it something that can be explained to me here relatively easily? If anyone feels like it, depsite the battery issue, i really would like to fix the calendar back to white.

For people that want the white calendar back:
rm /system/app/Calendar.apk
rm /system/app/Calendar.odex
push the attached Calendar.apk to /system/app

Thanks again.

i think the first question is whether you have root access (basically, all rights to access things on your phone)... if not, then i don't know if there's a way to push the old (white background) calendar app to your system because you only have read access to most of the apps in the system folder...

if you do have root access, then you'll either have to adb from your PC or use connectbot to remove (rm) the current calendar app (& odex), and to copy (push) the old one back over.

to switch it back to white,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones