• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Captivate Graphics Processor?

acandia007

Jul 16, 2010
I would like to know which gpu is faster between the iphone and the captivate. I'm leaning towards the captivate and gonna try to get it tomorrow or saturday, but i also want a phone that could game.
the iphone has some pretty cool games and i havn't seen some really fun ones on the captivate. just would like to know which has a better to gpu to game. i'm not expecting some crazy graphics cus i know there just phones, but just wanna know.
Thanks

I would like to know which gpu is faster between the iphone and the captivate. I'm leaning towards the captivate and gonna try to get it tomorrow or saturday, but i also want a phone that could game.
the iphone has some pretty cool games and i havn't seen some really fun ones on the captivate. just would like to know which has a better to gpu to game. i'm not expecting some crazy graphics cus i know there just phones, but just wanna know.
Thanks
The GPU in the iPhone is not known so there is only speculation as to what it actually has. Either way the Galaxy S phones such as the Captivate are going to be equal to or superior to the iPhone. The games available to take advantage is a whole different issue though.

Upvote 0
While the Captivate does appear to be packing some beastly hardware, developer support is another issue. Hopefully more game developers will hop on the Android train, though the situation is complicated greatly by the different various hardware configurations from multiple vendors vs standardized hardware on the iPhone being a known quantity.

There's a video of the Galaxy S running a port of Quake 3 on youtube that is super impressive. Granted, Quake 3 is over a decade old now, but to have a phone running Q3 at maxed settings at it's native resolution and to be getting such impressive performance - there was no frames counter, but I would guess AT LEAST 40 FPS - really speaks well of the capabilities of the hardware.

Upvote 0
I think it might be that the screen is brighter than it needs to be even at the lowest setting and for some reason my phone is now showing that it was without a signal for 3% of the last 9 hours which is something I've never experienced at my house with another AT&T device. Supposedly Voice calls have now used 50% of my battery in 9h 18m, but with only 58 minutes of calls. lol. How does that equate to hours of talk time?

Upvote 0
I think it might be that the screen is brighter than it needs to be even at the lowest setting and for some reason my phone is now showing that it was without a signal for 3% of the last 9 hours which is something I've never experienced at my house with another AT&T device. Supposedly Voice calls have now used 50% of my battery in 9h 18m, but with only 58 minutes of calls. lol. How does that equate to hours of talk time?

I think the biggest problem with this phone is all the TouchWiz add-ons. Software bugs galore.

Upvote 0

I agree. You can change the brightness all the way from bright as hell to really bright! I like to read in bed after my wife goes to sleep and it feels like this thing is burning out my corneas.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones