• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Captivate vs Moto Bravo vs Moto Flipside

redsox21

Feb 14, 2010
I am asking this because my mom is getting her upgrade and I dont know whats right for her. I have a captivate that has 2.2 and Ryanza lagfix but my mom will be coming from a pantech slate( i know its old :p) but i just want her to have a phone that wont overwelm her. I think the captivate is the best phone around but i need yalls opinion. Plus i want to know if the motos are laggy and stuff and their pros and cons cause if they are laggy to the point of screen hangs and stuff she is getting the captivate, cause she needs a phone that wont freeze when she needs it most! Also how are the motos screen?

Depending on what kind of user your mom is, I'd say (sort of like yahoowizard said) go for a device that has the longest battery life. Even go so far to consider whether an Android phone is best for her.

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I think the Flipside is cool as hell, but I think the Galaxy S series are the best Android handsets out there, excepting the GPS problem.

In closing, get her a Captivate. Lol.

Upvote 0
if u have to decide between thise 3 phones, definately go for captivate. If you dont want android, Iphone is good option to be used just out of the box....no need to work on anything. Android phones are good, but you need to know how to use them to save your battery and improve performace.

If she doesnt want smart phone at all. Dont bother with android or iphone,....get her good sleek Nokia....

Upvote 0
The answer is not an easy one and will be different (as seen in the posts here) between users. A few questions to ask, that will hopefully help

Does she text/e-mail a lot? then get a keyboard
Does she use Facebook/Myspace...? Than go with a phone with Motoblur; I had a backflip and the motoblur interface is killer; the Motorola flipside looks best
Does/is she going to use the phone for GPS? Don't go with the Captivate or get a TomTom
Does she plan on using the phone for work, or heavy e-mail?
Does she plan on using the phone for heavy applications, like video or HTML/Exchange e-mail or VPN
? The Captivate is the only way to go as the rest just don't have any real power.

Also ponder this, she is going to have this phone for the next 2 years; so if you go with something like the backflip or flipout, is she really going to be happy with a phone that is already outdated today, 2 years from now? Right now the Captivate is the only AT&T powerhouse that should be standing tall in 2 years.

Upvote 0
Does she use Facebook/Myspace...? Than go with a phone with Motoblur; I had a backflip and the motoblur interface is killer; the Motorola flipside looks best

Why not captivate? I like ADW launcer Interface, I am using on my captivate for social networking. How is Motoblur better? I have never seen moto blur, so just curiousity question.

Also ponder this, she is going to have this phone for the next 2 years; so if you go with something like the backflip or flipout, is she really going to be happy with a phone that is already outdated today, 2 years from now? Right now the Captivate is the only AT&T powerhouse that should be standing tall in 2 years.

I agree totally. if she doesnt want iphone 4.

Upvote 0
Why not captivate? I like ADW launcer Interface, I am using on my captivate for social networking. How is Motoblur better? I have never seen moto blur, so just curiousity question.

Don't get me wrong the captivate is great for facebook and twitter (oh and myspace, but who still uses myspace anymore :D ) and I have had no issues. BUT I have used the backflip for 6 months and got to play with the flipside and they are designed around social networking like facebook and myspace; the setup, contact managment, sns and updates are perfect and in one easy step you can update your facebook, myspace and twitter status on the home screen. I have yet to find that included on the captivate, I'm sure there is an app for it, but I have yet to find it. In my personal opnsion, and many of my firends who still have the backflip, motorola motoblur just does a better job at it.

Upvote 0
I have had a captivate. It was agood phone, but it bit the dust. My replacement was worse. They don't make them anymore, so all you can get is a refurbished. The Bravo is faster than the captivate. It's better. The interface isn't as good, but it's better. So,.... go with the bravo. Never go with the flip Motorola things.

Actually, the flipout is good... so....

Upvote 0
I did a LOT of research on the captivate, and read way too many reviews from people that were so sick of the bugs that they returned them... (not all, but a disturbingly high percentage)

I took a chance on getting the bravo even though there were next to no reviews available on it at the time.

I am THRILLED. It's fast, lightweight, easy to operate and customize, and I cna' find a single "bug" The GPS works better than I ever thought a phone could, it locks in in places that it really shouldn't but does anyway.

The ringer is nice and loud, the phone is fast, the screen is beautiful, what more could you want?

oh yeah, some people complain that the phone is only a 3MP... That doesn't bother me, I don't consider a phone to be anything more than a fun snapshot camera, and wouldn't consider taking serious pictures with it.

I LOVE motoblur, and my whole family is incredibly jealous of my phone... they all want one now

Go bravo!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones