1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Samsung Captivate with Froyo spotted

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jetpuck73, Feb 9, 2011.

1. jetpuck73

jetpuck73 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Trenton, MI.
    Samsung Epic 4G Froyo Update Feb 21st?

Advertisement

2. MonteMuscle70

MonteMuscle70 Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Good find. I hope that's accurate!

3. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Texas
    ah man.....if it really happens i will truley be torn about weather to stay with custom rom or go back to stock to get the froyo update. i have no idea weather the phone will run better with froyo than it does with serendipity 5.5

4. LMaxwell

LMaxwell Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    I'm not holding my breath. I hope I'm wrong, but have no confidence that Samsuck is going to come through with an update.

5. Rootmepls

Rootmepls Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    NorCal
    I'll be tempted to Odin back to stock and try it but I've learned to love the Cognition ROM. It just gets better with age.

6. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    I feel compelled to point out that Froyo is only one part of the equation.

Speed, stability, support, and tweaks/fixes by the Serendipity dev within 12-24 hours. Say that about Samsung. For that matter, say anything positive about Samsung.

7. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    Why go back to bloatware and lag? I will stay with custom ROMs, now the developers will have 'official' Froyo to play with.

8. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Texas
    you make a good point.

besides all that, for me theres just something satisfying about running custom. outside the box.

9. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    I remember the feeling I got adding a spoiler to my Yugo. Can't beat custom.

10. Wreckoncile

Wreckoncile Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Real Estate
    Los Angeles
    Not to mention that I bet part of the delay is that they're going to tweek Froyo to deny MAP/tethering. One of the big reasons I opted to finally stop waiting was because as soon as a wifi only Xoom or G-Slate becomes available, I plan on getting it and using my Captivate for mobile wifi.

11. John I

John I Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    I'll be shocked if it comes out before July 1. At this point I would not bet on it EVER coming out.

John

12. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    West Coast USA
    I'm choosing to take a positive approach. While it's fashionable to bash both Samsung and AT&T I don't belong to that club.

It's no secret they're not perfect, yet neither of these large scale corporations got to where they are by _not_ caring about their customers.

Operating at their respective levels, the politics are daunting. There's no doubt I could be wrong, but I do believe that we will have froyo 2.2 made available to us in the not too distant future.

Android26 likes this.
  13. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 5, 2010
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    I will definitely be staying on serendipity. I don't see a situation where stock froyo from at&t could possibly offer anything serendipity doesn't already have except for at&t bloatware. The closest I will ever go back to stock(as of now since it uses Canada froyo) is cognition 3.04

14. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Although I understand and normally tend to adopt your positive attitude, there's a distinct lack of focus in this instance. The "bashing" you allude to relates to Captivate-specific issues, and reference to internal politics or corporate size is irrelevant. There is no excuse for a lack of communication or stonewalling regarding Froyo. Tell customers that there's been a delay and indicate why. They'll respect you more as an organization and will not feel ignored. Samsung and/or AT&T have failed at Public Relations 101 and that has led to disgruntled users. The din surrounding the failure to communicate has overshadowed much of the benefit that could have been derived from the update, and the cottage industry that has arisen providing custom ROMs had made the imminent offering of Froyo a yawn to many. And within the ranks of custom ROM users are individuals referred to in the software / hardware industries as "recommenders." There are strategic ramifications.

If you haven't already read this, you may find it of interest:

Samsung Must Come Clean on Android Updates | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

DannyB likes this.
  15. shark974

shark974 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 18, 2010

Too bad nobody cares about Froyo but 1% of people on the internet.

16. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Ignorance is bliss, and in this case totally applicable.

17. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    It's a common truism that only people on the internet care about Froyo - I've been chatting with store employees at Best Buy and Radio Shack lately and asking which rev of the OS various phones have.

To my surprise, they've launched into whether or not this or that model has 2.2/Froyo.

When I asked them about this, I got a universal answer: it's the number one question their shoppers are asking.

If that's indicative of what's going on out there, maybe it's time to update that assumption about what people are demanding.

18. trmzu

trmzu Newbie
    None

Dec 22, 2010
    Isn't Froyo old already? Where's the Gingerbread update?

19. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    There are several directions to go with this, and the more I visit them in my mind the more I realize that any applicability of reason would likely be spurious.

Having admitted this, and taking the argument to its extreme, let's say 50% of Captivate buyers are technologically sophisticated. That leaves the other 50% (lots, numerically) ignorant of what's going on under the covers. That's a bunch of folks blessed with the ability to revel in bliss. I say good for them.

For the other 50%, the hue and cry is likely less favorable towards Samsung.

Thank you for sharing your in-store experiences.

20. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Reminds me of what NBC used to say about summer reruns. "If you haven't seen it, it's new to you."

Android26 likes this.
  21. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    All we can do without data is speculate.

One idea that's been put out is that shoppers may not be technically aware of Froyo's details - but with updates being common for PCs (and for the upscale shoppers, even their HDTVs update), people are expecting latest-and-greatest support in whatever terms a pre-shopping Google tells them to look for.

Anecdotally, the acquaintances I've spoken to about Android as an upgrade for whatever they're carrying as a phone seems to always revolve around the simpler meme: does everything just work?

While the negative press concerns Samsung _today_ my work in welcoming newcomers and talking about their needs and desires strongly indicates that they're aware of seeing an update issue before joining here - less aware of any one brand or model that the problem concerns.

This is an Android-wide issue.

22. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    I'd be interested in learning about other devices where OS update expectations have been unfulfilled in a timely manner and where P.R. has been absent. Is displeasure more, less, or about the same as you've experienced here? Is it cross-manufacturer or does finger-pointing gravitate more towards one vs. another?

23. DannyB

DannyB Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 3, 2010
    People who already have it certainly don't care because they've already got it.

People who don't have it care because it would make their apps run faster, and enable the use of an increasing number of important apps that only work on Froyo. Example: Skype.

AT&T: Rethink Pessimism

24. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Among owners posting at AF, finger-pointing definitely started with Samsung and has been the most vocal for the big four: Captivate, Fascinate, Vibrant, Epic (Continuum apparently less so).

Now, HTC owners of all stripes - including and especially the Nexus One owners of all people - are joining the fray in the demand for Gingerbread and citing a general fear that HTC's highest-update record last year was a flash in the pan and that their models will be left behind because of a drive to move consumers to newer models.

Not to be outdone - earlier this week the advanced Motorola Droid owners joined in with that same refrain.

While I expected to see more of the tired iPhone hating threads with the Verizon release of the iPhone, instead, I'm seeing more new users and some upgraders voicing concern about Android fragmentation. The standout that I've taken away from those threads is the shift in responses by old-timers since last summer.

Before, that answer was usually couched in invective and hardware model choice - today, the answers are being given seriously in terms of percentages of use by various revisions - and cautioning newcomers to shop by upgrade history.

Definitely an Android issue from what I see - AF, being the first and still largest user forum, seems like a decent barometer for these trends. The dialog on this forum-wide has shifted.

Sidenote - displeasure seems highest among the big four Samsungs, where there's still only theory as to whether a significant OS update will simultaneously include a once-and-for-all GPS fix. Oddly, among those four, the Epic users are voicing disappointment, but not the higher levels of displeasure compared to the other three.

Personally - I'm still holding out hope that this increased delay might suggest the update will leapfrog to Gingerbread. That's not an uncommon move for Samsung, and I can offer no insight as to why Galaxy S-class phones overseas are already at Froyo.

4x3combo and Jack45 like this.
  25. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    While it'd be nice, reality check here: what devices besides the Nexus S have official Android 2.3 available on them?

I would not be holding your breath for Gingerbread on the Captivate. Devices that shipped with Android 2.2 don't even have it yet.