• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Cloud - no more backup!

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    Don't shoot the messenger, but Samsung Cloud has a great feature that backs up and restores app data. No more! Apparently, Samsung Cloud will stop app backup and restore on January 11th:

http://www.nashvillechatterclass.co...-backup-restore-beginning-january-2018/36880/

I have to wonder if carriers (I'm looking at YOU, Verizon) didn't pressure Samsung into this. Verizon has been bullying Samsung for years: the Galaxy phones on Big Red are dumbed down - apparently they think their customers are stupid - and they forced them to CRIPPLE the 15 GB Samsung Cloud on the Note 8 so they can put their own puny 5 GB Verizon Cloud on it.

Why Samsung allows themselves to be pushed around by carriers is beyond me.

Samsung only care about the bottom line. So where Jobs played a long game to ensure that Apple control the software on Apple devices, Samsung will accept anything if it gets their devices promoted more widely.

Possibly if it had some other utility for them they have stood their ground (e.g. if it helped them train Bixby up ready for when they add it to TVs and microwaves), but if not then throw them some cash or a promotional incentive and I'm sure they'd go along without a quibble.

But Samsung Pay will be safe, as they make money from that. I expect they decided this feature wasn't making them anything net because it didn't provide a unique selling point, and so was dispensable.

Reactions: psionandy
    Upvote 0
    I'm 90 percent sure its a bottom line thing... Better to have short term deals with customers than a long relationship with responsibilities...

.... However the remaining part of me wonders if its a regulatory issue. If you are holding large amounts of users data from around the world that's a compliance nightmare, especially for Samsung who want to sell hardware.

Next years GPRE combined with laws from around the world asking for backdoor access to encrypted services might have been the final straw

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones