• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Default Applications

jaf1970

Lurker
Nov 15, 2011
I had an AT&T Captive, but have had to switch to a Verizon Gem (long story, don't ask). The default Clock and Messaging applications on the Gem sucks compaired to the one on the Captivate. My question is... is there any way to "copy" the Captivate's applications over to the Gem since they are both made by Samsung and running Android 2.1Update1?

I had an AT&T Captive, but have had to switch to a Verizon Gem (long story, don't ask). The default Clock and Messaging applications on the Gem sucks compaired to the one on the Captivate. My question is... is there any way to "copy" the Captivate's applications over to the Gem since they are both made by Samsung and running Android 2.1Update1?

You'd need talk with someone who's a ROM dev probably, but you could try pulling the .apks from the Captivate (you'd probably actually want to use the Fascinate stuff instead) and side-loading them onto the Gem. Honestly though, this phone performs SO badly when there isn't enough free memory, I think the memory loss associated with installing additional clocks and messaging apps would be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

What needs to happen to make this phone a lot better is that we need to find a successful rooting method. Once done, we can probably remove the vast majority of bloatware from this phone, uninstall the preloaded Swype in favor of the newest Beta (or a keyboard of your choice), hopefully have enough free room to run a 3rd party launcher, and possibly install some of the better features from the 2.1 Fascinate software (I'd say this is the lowest priority of everything previously listed though). I'm also curious to know how the V6 SuperCharger script and Loopy Lagfix could play out on this phone. And, since this is a Samsung, would there be any way to enable Voodoo?

But, alas... we need root to get the ball rolling. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones