1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Samsung Desk Home and Car Home

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by werds, Jan 5, 2012.

1. werds

werds Newbie
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    Well after a whole bunch of looking around and reading posts on this forum and several others I decided to purchase the Samsung Desktop dock and the Vehicle mount because of how much everyone raved about them and after playing with some phone covers I realized I was going to let my SGS2 run naked.

I currently installed the Desk Home app and I saw it insta launches and all that good stuff but it doesn't appear to be customizable at all... is there a better alternative out there that insta-launches when it recognizes it is in the Samsung desk cradle? Also will using this dock setup as my bedside clock damage or burn the screen? I see that it dims all other background stuff after a set amount of time but I am struggling to locate any settings menu that might give more. Also I find it annoying that I cannot change the icons it provides(web, alarm, music, gallery) The app looks wonderful but if I was able to customize at least those icons I think it might be perfect. Anyone care to share their experiences or if they have found an app to use in it's place that auto launches?

Next I also purchased the Vehicle mount and after brief reading I noticed the card dock home app is pretty bleh.... so after some searching on these forums and google I noticed a few apps were thrown out. I also ran across these two and am wonder if anyone has experience using them and is there better in your opinion?

At the moment I am leaning towards Car Dashboard but I am open to suggestions! (Cross posted to androidcentral as well to hit critical mass)

Thanks

Advertisement

2. werds

werds Newbie
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    Well update so far. I still haven't spotted what would seem to be a good replacement for the Desk Home app, still looking because I would prefer something customizable.

As far as the Car Dock goes I ended up getting Car Dock Home v3 https://market.android.com/details?...GwsMSwxLDEsIm5ldC5jd2ZrLmlnODguY2FyaG9tZTMiXQ..

I didn't need the extra speedometer and stuff some of the other apps added and in the end Card Dock V3 allowed the use of widgets on it's interface! Granted visually it is not the prettiest but it met all my other needs of automagically turning on when docked in car, turning on bluetooth and turning it off, shutting down my wifi, and at least it makes an attempt to turn my GPS on (although all it does is end up sending me to the settings menu for me to manually turn it on). Downloaded Tasker app and going to try and pair it with this to see if I can get the rest of my functionality I need out of it.

3. werds

werds Newbie
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    After reading the Googles I realize why the GPS turning off and on did not work automatically. Apparently this was something introduced in 2.3 and the only way to get apps to do it is to have the .apk installed in the /system folder! Luckily for me Titanium Backup has this option in it (I am assuming the paid version as I never used the free one). So Tasker was completely unnecessary, just need root!