1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Samsung Dive Poor Positioning?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by unspankable, Aug 3, 2011.

1. unspankable

unspankable Member
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    BC
    Hey all,

I set up my Samsung dive account and tried to locate myself at home...

I'm shown on the map over 1km away from my current position. I turned off use Wifi and network positioning in settings and tried again to get the same result.
    My gf's iphone location service almost pinpoints her phone exactly. Always within 50ft radius. We are both on the same network...

What gives?
    Thanks for the insight.

Advertisement

2. daivik

daivik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    was gps/wifi off on the iphone? Can you even turn gps off on an iPhone? Does it give the option?

If you turn wifi and GPS off, it's not the phones problem. On those conditions, the location is based on the network locations - so where T-mobile/orange/O2/tesco mob think your phone is.

And just a tip, Android Lost. Is a much better (and free) service. It allows me to lock, wipe, locate my phone through the web, or through sending a code as a text (say for example a thief turned data off). It also allows you to take a picture from the front camera and place text on the screen and it'll allow you to turn on GPS or wifi so that you could, if need be, pin point the location of your phone.

3. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

i think its best to keep "use wireless networks" on, and keep GPS on at all times too.. coz GPS is used only when an app opens it, and wont drain ur battery even if its on.

with GPS and wireless networks both, it should give u a pretty accurate location. ive tried DIVE, its pretty good, it got my location fast. however, i switched to seekdroid, i think its a great app.. it finds my phone in an instant, and u get the usual remote lock/wipe/ring features too. the cool thing about it is it cant be uninstalled like a normal app.. so its very secure. its a paid app but they just released a free version which just includes the locating service. very good

4. unspankable

unspankable Member
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    BC
    All location servoces and gps were enabled when i ran it the first time. alright well thanks for the app suggestion. do you guys use the paid version?

5. Irate

Irate Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    seek droid is works a lot better than samsung dive IMO

6. Katabolism

Katabolism Lurker
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    Worked alright for me.

Pinpointed my phone to about 200m or so in the city, and this city is pretty bad for any 3G signal, so should be even better when i get home tonight.

7. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

paid version of seekdroid? yeah but the free one locates ur device fine, if u want more features like lock/wipe/ring etc u need the paid one

8. planetf1

planetf1 Member
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    I had GPS turned off, and phone on silent.

Tried dive for first time and
    a) I got a spot on location -- when I checked the phone GPS had been enabled remotely (good)
    b) phone rings anyway regardless of being on silent

Is GPS lock normally quick on your phone?
    Do you have a data connection available?

good stuff!