1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Samsung Droid Charge - Recharge time?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by choolan, Jul 16, 2011.

1. choolan

choolan Lurker
    None

Jul 16, 2011
    Hey guys,
    I keep reading about people having problems with the battery life. Me? It's been annoying, but I feel like I can put up with it. I also have been running the GPS non-stop, which I've recently learned is a bit of a battery drainer. I turned that off, so hopefully that'll help a bit.

Anyway, one concern I have isn't on the battery life, but on the time to recharge the device. I have been reading some reviews where people are claiming that it's very quick to rechage the phone. That hasn't been the case at all for me. My last phone was the original Motorola Droid, which would recharge in like 20-30 minutes. My Samsung Droid Charge takes around 2 hours tip-to-tail, which is incredibly frustrating. Is this normal, or is something up with my device? Thanks guys.

Edit - Oh yeah, just wanted to throw in that I'm using the wall charger. I've read that it takes quicker to charge in the wall than via USB, so that's not my issue.

Advertisement

2. jneusch

jneusch Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Omaha
    Mine takes several hours as well, which is way better than the LG Revolution I tried. That one took all night and then still wasn't 100% sometimes.

In years of using various smart phones I have found that several hours is normal if the battery is low. One of the nice things about the new types of batteries in our phones is that they like to be charged, so don't hesitate plugging it in whenever you have an opportunity.

choolan likes this.
  3. choolan

choolan Lurker
    None

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Well, good to know that it's not just my device. I just find it odd that people would go out of their way to compliment how quickly it recharges in their reviews. The original Motorola Droid, although it had a ton of other problems for me, recharged very quickly.

4. 73JER

73JER Lurker
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    Mechanical Contractor
    Alabama
    You should download Juice Defender from the market. It has made my battery life double.

5. trparky

trparky Android Enthusiast
    None

Don't use JuiceDefender on the Droid Charge. There are a number of people including myself that have an issue in which after you unlock the phone the data modes don't come back until after you toggle Airplane Mode.

6. addictedtocars

addictedtocars Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    My DC takes anywhere from 2-4 hours to charge, also depends on if any battery hungry apps are running. I find TextFree from Pinger is a battery suck, phone barely holds charge on a USB port if it is running, let alone charge it.

7. laughingmom

laughingmom Member
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    Boston
    I came to the DC from a DX (and an X2 for a few days) - my DX charged very quickly with the wall charger. I was terribly spoiled from that. I have a hard time believing how little the DC has charged each time I check it when it's plugged in.

8. SoonerLater

SoonerLater Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Tulsamerica
    FWIW... I find that my DC will charge fairly quickly using the 1 amp wall charger that came with my phone (looks just like the new iPhone usb wall chargers, but is black). If I use any other USB wall charger I have, it seems to take longer. When I use a 2 amp Griffin USB wall charger, it seems actually to take *longer*. I wonder whether (1) there's a chip in the Samsung charger that lets it charge the phone more efficiently / faster and (2) whether 2 amps is simply too much for the DC.

Also... living in Oklahoma in the summer, where the lows have been in the mid 80s and the highs well over 100, I find that my DC charges more slowly the hotter the environment where it's being charged.

YMMV

9. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    Good ole Oklahoma. Norman here.

10. GrammieDroid

GrammieDroid Well-Known Member
    None

May 15, 2011
    Registered Nurse, retired
    Fairchild, Wisconsin
    I wonder if folks know that the battery isn't fully charged until you get the saying to disconnect from the charger? Otherwise it may look full but isn't really. I think it's sort of like your gas tank in the car. There's full and then there's really full. lol