• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung Fascinate and CyanogenMOD

omniuni

Jul 24, 2010
Hi forum! I read that Cyanogenmod now supports the Galaxy S. The fascinate is a Galaxy S phone, and as far as I know, relatively unmodified. Has anyone tried CM7 on the Fascinate since this release?

If it works as well on the Fascinate as it does on my Droid, I will likely install it.

Thanks!

Hi forum! I read that Cyanogenmod now supports the Galaxy S. The fascinate is a Galaxy S phone, and as far as I know, relatively unmodified. Has anyone tried CM7 on the Fascinate since this release?

If it works as well on the Fascinate as it does on my Droid, I will likely install it.

Thanks!
There are two semi working CM7 semi-working incarnations. Due to the quantity of things which don't work on either version I myself did not stick with either but used each long enough to say I did. For me personally I suppose I was underwhelmed. But everyone has different needs from their for. I do use BT, MMS and the camera frequently enough to make them a necessity.
Cruise over to xda if you want to try either version

Upvote 0
Did you try the one that has been posted (officially) on the Cyanogenmod website? I know there were some unofficial ones, but the official support was just released a few days ago, and supposedly everything is now working except for a small bug with GPS on one particular model. Unfortunately, the Fascinate is not specifically listed, just "Galaxy S", which I know the Facinate is.

Upvote 0
Did you try the one that has been posted (officially) on the Cyanogenmod website? I know there were some unofficial ones, but the official support was just released a few days ago, and supposedly everything is now working except for a small bug with GPS on one particular model. Unfortunately, the Fascinate is not specifically listed, just "Galaxy S", which I know the Facinate is.
Yeah Galaxy S I believe refers to the international version. There is no officially working CM7 for us. Nothing on the website is directly compatible with our SF

Upvote 0
Darn! Thanks for the reply.

The SF is actually my mom's phone, so I don't want to mess with it more than I have to. My dad and I both run CyanogenMOD on our Droid 1's, and I also run it on my NOOKcolor. I love how clean and fast it is, and how few bugs it has. The default Samsung firmware is pretty good as far as modified Android is concerned, but it does some weird stuff sometimes which makes it hard for me to always understand what my mom is having trouble with.

I really wish manufacturers would stop messing so much with the default firmware! So far, only Casio and LG seem to keep their modifications to a minimum. Unless something changes in the next year, I'm probably going to go for an Optimus 2x for my next phone, since it has an unlocked boot loader, and LG was kind enough to release all their source code. (Hence, it is already supported by CyanogenMOD)

Upvote 0
Darn! Thanks for the reply.

The SF is actually my mom's phone, so I don't want to mess with it more than I have to. My dad and I both run CyanogenMOD on our Droid 1's, and I also run it on my NOOKcolor. I love how clean and fast it is, and how few bugs it has. The default Samsung firmware is pretty good as far as modified Android is concerned, but it does some weird stuff sometimes which makes it hard for me to always understand what my mom is having trouble with.

I really wish manufacturers would stop messing so much with the default firmware! So far, only Casio and LG seem to keep their modifications to a minimum. Unless something changes in the next year, I'm probably going to go for an Optimus 2x for my next phone, since it has an unlocked boot loader, and LG was kind enough to release all their source code. (Hence, it is already supported by CyanogenMOD)
Your might wanna steer your mom towards a few of the ROM's out for the SF there are several good ones posted over at xda

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones