1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Samsung Fix

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Npjones1, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Npjones1

Npjones1 Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    I just sent my Samsung Captivate to Samsung for the phone turning itself off, has anyone else done this? And how were the results?

Advertisement

2. Npjones1

Npjones1 Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
  3. Npjones1

Npjones1 Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2011
  4. Timberline

Timberline Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 23, 2010
    Rocky Mountains
    local ATT service center replaced my phone 12/31/10 and I haven't had a single incident since then.

5. lordfly911

lordfly911 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    I started having the same problem just over a week ago. It would come and go, but seemed to usually happen in the afternoon.

Yesterday I read up that low memory issues can cause this, so I removed all the apps I never use. Now it is even working faster.

I am rooted, but still Stock. Had it since day 1 release and have no interest yet to flash it to another ROM.

6. sethjamto

sethjamto Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    Going with a custom ROM with minimal bloatware will also help here! Just a thought!!

7. bmoliver

bmoliver Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    US
    Does the phone shut down and stay off, or does the phone shut down and then restart again (i.e., reboot)?

My phone reboots from time to time (maybe once a week or so), and you can always tell when it happens as you can easily hear the initial startup sounds the phone makes. Whenever this has happended, the phone has been in my belt holder (one time in the middle of the night) and not being actively used.

Brian

8. CelineDoll

CelineDoll Newbie
    None

Nov 19, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I had the same problem HORRIBLY and was just miserable. I thought there was nothing I could do because I didn't buy my phone from AT&T even though they are my carrier.. so I finally called AT&T anyway, in desperation, last week when my phone had shut off 3 times within 15 minutes and I was VERY grateful they were willing to send me out a new phone right away and I just have to mail my old phone back to them in the box that the new one came to me in.

I've had the new phone a week and it has not shut off one single solitary time.. VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!!! :D

They told me that it's the phones manufactured before Nov '10 that have this problem and it had been corrected in all phones manufactured after that. Samsung is replacing all phones that are doing this under their warranty. She asked for some numbers on my phone to be sure it was, in fact, one of the "qualifying" models and it was.

So, if you get a new phone, you should be good to go!

9. freakdaddydog

freakdaddydog Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Gulf Coast
    I sent my phone into Samsung in December, and they supposedly 'fixed' it. When it returned 2 weeks later, it was the same phone I had sent them, and it unfortunately was still powering itself off multiple times a day. I did notice that the GPS locked better, but I had sent them the phone for the shutdown issue. After a few choice words, I finally contacted AT&T and referenced the internal memo thats floating around on this and other websites. They kept me on hold for quite a while, but agreed to replace the phone. Three days later I received a brand new phone, manufactured in December and it hasn't powered itself off, even once! Apparently every phone made before November 2010 has the problem. I appreciate AT&T stepping up and correcting the problem. My Captivate has been perfect since I received the new one and it works as I expect it to. I now can wait for the latest Android release or upgrade it myself, but I have the phone I want, and it works like it should.

10. drapacioli

drapacioli Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    Not sure if mine will be susceptible to this. I got my phone on September 21st, but I've seen no problems yet with the reboot issue, let's hope that stays that way.

11. Bearsyzf

Bearsyzf Android Expert

Jul 23, 2010
    Male
    Sandy Eggo, Ca
    yeah i had to send mine back in for the random shut offs , mine would just shutoff without rebooting.

12. gcobb

gcobb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Southaven, MS
    I called them, spent a few minutes on the phone and they mailed me another phone without an issue.