• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy 4 help needed

Joan Brooks

Lurker
Jan 16, 2018
I have a Samsung Galaxy 4 that suddenly stopped working. I tried initial suggestion to do a soft reset from thedroidguy.com and got to a place where it said
Warning!
A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications.

If you want to downlod a custom OS, press the volume up key. Otherwise, press the volume down key to cancel

Volume up: Continue
Volume down: Cancel (restart phone)
I tried that and it still didn't work and did not seem to be taking a charge, so I ordered a new battery and have had the same results. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Couple things to try if you can get it to boot into recovery.
From off, press and hold the power, volume up and home button till device starts to boot, then release the power button only and hold the other two.
In Recovery, use the volume down button to scroll down to wipe the cache partition. Press power to select it. Then reboot.
If that doesn't work, next option is to try a Factory Reset from recovery.
If that fails, last option would be to try and flash the stock firmware with Odin.

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
Couple things to try if you can get it to boot into recovery.
From off, press and hold the power, volume up and home button till device starts to boot, then release the power button only and hold the other two.
In Recovery, use the volume down button to scroll down to wipe the cache partition. Press power to select it. Then reboot.
If that doesn't work, next option is to try a Factory Reset from recovery.
If that fails, last option would be to try and flash the stock firmware with Odin.
Thanks - I tried option 1 and it just shows the Samsung GALAXY S4 log. I will be honest, I do not know how to get to recovery if this is all I see and don't how to do your last option either.

Upvote 0
may be you have to hard reset you device
Thanks! Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this. I simply cannot get past just having the logo on my screen and once it is up, I cannot power off. When I hold the power button, the screen goes dark but then makes a sound and it's back to the logo. So the only way I can have it off is to take out the battery.

Upvote 0
Reflashing the firmware with Odin is pretty easy if you have access to a Windows PC. Selecting the correct firmware is usually the hardest part.
What is your complete model number, country and carrier?

Thanks, again! The model is SPH-L 720t UD. It also says Sprint, but I purchased it from Credo. I am in the US and my current carrier is TPO (The People's Carrier)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones