• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy a71 Has No Gyroscope?

Makineko

Jan 17, 2020
I just bought a Samsung Galaxy a71 used, confirmed in the settings it's the right model and everything, but I tested with a VR app as well as Pokemon Go, but it says no gyroscope was detected... I don't think it's very used, it seems to be in very good condition. It says model a71 in the options, when i researched it before-hand, it seems they all have gyroscopes.

Did I get a gyroscopeless version or something? I bought this specifically for the gyroscope...

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy a71 used, confirmed in the settings it's the right model and everything, but I tested with a VR app as well as Pokemon Go, but it says no gyroscope was detected... I don't think it's very used, it seems to be in very good condition. It says model a71 in the options, when i researched it before-hand, it seems they all have gyroscopes.

Did I get a gyroscopeless version or something? I bought this specifically for the gyroscope...

That phone is supposed to have a gyro according to specs. But could be it's faulty?

Upvote 0
also try an app like Device Info and look at the Sensors tab, plus the model verification.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.liuzh.deviceinfo

There are others and I can't remember if the big benchmark apps run sensor tests, this doesn't but shows if they are working and uncalibrated.
That app says A71, but all the device specs are off... Even though the settings say 8gb ram, device info says 1gb. The storage says 256gb, but device info says a measily 6gb storage. Did I buy a fake phone? Or is device info lying to me? lol

Upvote 0
I suppose there are a few reasons why it thinks the device name is A71.

Try Geekbench 5 as well. There's also Antutu but I can't remember why you can't see it in Play Store. They're the big two afaik.

It doesn't look good though. How many cores are showing and compare to the A71 specs on GSMArena.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
No, I
I suppose there are a few reasons why it thinks the device name is A71.

Try Geekbench 5 as well. There's also Antutu but I can't remember why you can't see it in Play Store. They're the big two afaik.

It doesn't look good though. How many cores are showing and compare to the A71 specs on GSMArena.
No, I'm pretty sure it's fake, it says 4 cores, when it should have 8... It's showing in storage that I have 256gb but I just put a bunch of files it, no more than 3gb, now it says I'm using 152gb. Geez, I thought I'd be able to spot a fake, it's not a terrible phone, it seems to run just fine. It's just all the specs are fake. I mean, I paid about 100$ for it used, but wow, they certainly know how to make these fakes look genuine.

Upvote 0
They've probably been years at it :(

I hope you get your money back if it was on somewhere like Ebay.
It was on facebook market, I'll see if the scammer gives me my money back lol... If not, i'ma report them to Facebook. I don't have high hopes. Dude, all I wanted was a phone with a damn gyroscope, saw an A71 for sale and thought I got lucky. lol

Upvote 0
I think most phones have a gyroscope if not a compass sensor, although my spare Moto E6 Plus doesn't have either but I don't game so I like it.

Shame you can't buy Xiaomi phones if you're in the US. they have excellent phones at massive daily reductions on Mi. com. I bought two with very high spec but they have many around the £100 mark on weekly deals.

Let us know how you get on, and if you need advice from countrymen on what to buy.

Upvote 0
I think most phones have a gyroscope if not a compass sensor, although my spare Moto E6 Plus doesn't have either but I don't game so I like it.

Shame you can't buy Xiaomi phones if you're in the US. they have excellent phones at massive daily reductions on Mi. com. I bought two with very high spec but they have many around the £100 mark on weekly deals.

Let us know how you get on, and if you need advice from countrymen on what to buy.
Oh yeah? Xiaomi have gyroscopes? I'm not too trusting of Chinese phones, I bought a cheap one while I was in China and couldn't even use google play lol, but I'll have a look at the phone store, pretty sure they have Xiaomi. I'm actually in Vietnam right now.

And I mean, really any phone is an improvement on my Blu R2 Plus, this phone is the worst lol. But, I need a gyroscope because I'm designing a VR game, and neither of my phones have one.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I know what you mean, I was a Samsung, Motorola or Nokia guy, but Xiaomi are really excellent (Redmi, Mi and Poco models) and as good if not surpassing Samsung. Massively big manufacturer.

The UI is very refined, English and slimmed down now with MIUI 12.
Well shit, I shouldn't have been cheap and just bought myself a Xiaomi. I looked it up and the cheaper ones seem to be about double what I paid for the fake? I paid about 75~100$ so that's not bad at all lol

Upvote 0
Well shit, I shouldn't have been cheap and just bought myself a Xiaomi. I looked it up and the cheaper ones seem to be about double what I paid for the fake? I paid about 75~100$ so that's not bad at all lol

I learned to delve into the website where prices change, higher storage versions are reduced to much less than the base model, price at checkout is reduced, you get regular automatic price coupons etc

Unusually this week they seem to only have reductions on mid spec models, but here in the UK site the Redmi Note 9 128gb is down to £119. The Redmi 9 (../A/S..) is normally cheaper but the Note 9 models have the gyroscope.

Keep an eye on it for fun if you may be buying in the near future. Hardware, build and specs are excellent.

Upvote 0
I learned to delve into the website where prices change, higher storage versions are reduced to much less than the base model, price at checkout is reduced, you get regular automatic price coupons etc

Unusually this week they seem to only have reductions on mid spec models, but here in the UK site the Redmi Note 9 128gb is down to £119. The Redmi 9 (../A/S..) is normally cheaper but the Note 9 models have the gyroscope.

Keep an eye on it for fun if you may be buying in the near future. Hardware, build and specs are excellent.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. When I have money, that scammer responded to me saying she never said the phone was genuine, no returns. It said in the description "Japanese hand-made". Wow. lol

I think my local phone store has a Redmi note 9... I'm never buying a used phone again XD

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones