1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Samsung Galaxy Ace PC Connectivity

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jerry Abel, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Jerry Abel

Jerry Abel Lurker
    None

Jan 15, 2012
    Hi, I've just acquired a Samsung Galaxy Ace and cannot get it to connect to my laptop. I expected to just plug it in and have it appear as a folder - am I missing something? Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Brian566

Brian566 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    England
    Go on to the samsung website and download the Kies program this will install the drivers and when loaded one option is to see the Sd card as a drive

Jerry Abel likes this.
  3. bigbaldbloke

bigbaldbloke Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2011
    Jerry, the most common mistake for a new user here is to not realise that, once connected, you need to enable USB sharing on the phone itself.

As Brian says, you need the drivers first. Once they're installed, plug it in & look at the notification area (the top bar) on your phone & see if there's a new icon there. If so, drag the notification area down & choose to enable USB sharing (wording can be slightly different on different versions, but you'll know it's the right thing when you see it).

One word of warning though. If you start installing apps on the SD card, rather than the phone's internal memory, then those apps won't function with USB mode on. In effect, the phone breaks its connection with the card so that the computer can access it instead. Just worth keeping in mind.

Jerry Abel likes this.
  4. socrates0

socrates0 Android Enthusiast
    None

Thats is strange, when I bought my Ace I tried to connect via bluetooth to my office laptop which runs on Win 7 Home Premium & it paired & connected without a hitch & the laptop does not have KIES installed on it as its a office laptop. I presume you were referring connecting to the laptop is via bluetooth.

5. bigbaldbloke

bigbaldbloke Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2011
    I think that Win7 has drivers already bundled.