• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Ace Turns Off Randomly

insekticide

Jun 11, 2011
Germany
Hi everybody,

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830
Android Version: 2.2.1

I notice during the day, when I check my phone, that it turned off for no reason. I'm not accidentally pressing any buttons since this happens also when my phone simply lies on the table. After a factory reset the problem seemed to be solved temporarily and then it started again. Is there an FREE APP that lets you check some sort of log on the phone to see the reason it turned off or any other error messages (for example when WIFI won't turn on and only says Error)? It would also help me if any of you have these problems and found a fix. Thanks alot.

- Insekticide

Captivate shut down / shut off fix
Here is a semi-fix. This trick will prevent your phone from shutting down but will decrease battery life somewhat.
1. Download "Load Monitor" from the Android Market.
2. Once installed, open the Load Monitor app.
3. Click on the Menu Button and Select Preferences.
4. Check the following Items:
* Add Notification
* Auto Start
* Wake Lock
* Only screen on
5. Go to "Update interval" and select 5 Minutes.
6. Although the Auto-start assures the app runs everytime you reboot your phone, if it ever shuts off, start the app manually; though you should haven't to do this step too many times.
Load Monitor keeps your phone from shutting down by preventing suspend via wake lock setting and by actively monitoring your load, the phone is always doing something. The main reason these phones shut-off is due to the processor going into suspended mode whenever it is not being used much and then it shuts off once it hasn't been used long enough. This trick worked for me, can't guarantee for everyone but a very good chance it will work.

Upvote 0
I had this problem and there was a really easy fix for it. It only happens when wifi is switched on and the phone is left idle. If you just turn wifi off when you're not using the phone then it doesn't happen anymore. I've no idea why that's the case, but since I learned about the wifi thing the problem has completely gone away.

Upvote 0
Hi everybody. So here's what happened. Even after I've got a replacement phone the same problems appeared. The phone would randomly shut off and the wifi problem still ocurred and would only solve once I rebooted. I was just about to give it back and walk away from the contract when the official Gingerbread update came out and what do you know...I have not had that problem since. Thanks to everyone who posted here. Also, everything works smoother now. The only disapointment I have is that Adobe Flash still won't work with the ace, so once I have a little more money I will probably return my ace and go for another (harder, better, faster, stronger) phone.

Upvote 0
Hi everybody. So here's what happened. Even after I've got a replacement phone the same problems appeared. The phone would randomly shut off and the wifi problem still ocurred and would only solve once I rebooted. I was just about to give it back and walk away from the contract when the official Gingerbread update came out and what do you know...I have not had that problem since. Thanks to everyone who posted here. Also, everything works smoother now. The only disapointment I have is that Adobe Flash still won't work with the ace, so once I have a little more money I will probably return my ace and go for another (harder, better, faster, stronger) phone.

Are there any additional apps that is included in the official Gingerbread update? I'm planning to have mine be updated at a local Samsung Service Center. I hope you could provide overall feedback on the official Gingerbread update. Thanks much!

Upvote 0
Captivate shut down / shut off fix
Here is a semi-fix. This trick will prevent your phone from shutting down but will decrease battery life somewhat.
1. Download "Load Monitor" from the Android Market.
2. Once installed, open the Load Monitor app.
3. Click on the Menu Button and Select Preferences.
4. Check the following Items:
* Add Notification
* Auto Start
* Wake Lock
* Only screen on
5. Go to "Update interval" and select 5 Minutes.
6. Although the Auto-start assures the app runs everytime you reboot your phone, if it ever shuts off, start the app manually; though you should haven't to do this step too many times.
Load Monitor keeps your phone from shutting down by preventing suspend via wake lock setting and by actively monitoring your load, the phone is always doing something. The main reason these phones shut-off is due to the processor going into suspended mode whenever it is not being used much and then it shuts off once it hasn't been used long enough. This trick worked for me, can't guarantee for everyone but a very good chance it will work.
This woks for me and solved my problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones