• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy J5 crashes when connecting to certain Wifi...

spencey7

Lurker
Jul 16, 2012
Hello all,

I'm experiencing a strange phenomenon with my Samsung Galaxy J5 (model number SM-J500FN, running Android 6.0.1) and was hoping someone might be able to help!

It works fine most of the time, but stutters and crashes whenever it's connected to one certain free Wifi network. This "guest" network is provided by our local council and is accessible in libraries/leisure centres/schools etc. Other friends with Android phones can use this free network with absolutely no issues, but my J5 slows to a crawl soon after connecting, and is soon unusable. It doesn't even reboot easily, and when it does (eventually), and I reconnect to the network, the exact same thing happens again. The only error message I've seen pop up during the stuttering procedure is "Touchwiz home has stopped working".

I stress again that my phone experiences no issues whatsoever when connecting to *any other network* apart from this one, free Wifi.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Or, more importantly, how I can address this issue? (This free, guest network is prevalent all over the area I live in. Sometimes my phone connects to it in my pocket without my knowledge, and it takes 15 minutes to restart my phone and be able to use it again!)

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks for reading, all the very best.

P.S. I am by no means a phone expert, so it would be hugely appreciated if you could walk me through any potential fixes, I'm not brilliant with jargon... Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones