• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy Precedent Will Not Turn On

If you own this phone and have ever let it die, you will know that once it is plugged in, the screen will light up, and in the center will be an empty battery outline, that slowly fills up green over time unless you turn it back on.

This morning on my walk home, it started POURING the rain, and try as I might, my phone still managed to get a little bit wet, though, it was still on and functioning. However, it died just as I got home because I had not charged it yet, and that is where my first problem began. I plugged it up, but it wouldn't charge. I switched outlets, I even tried a different charger, but none would work. Eventually I gave up, plugged it up, and just left it there hoping it would charge.

When I returned, it had managed to charge completely after 5 or 6 hours, and I tried turning it on. When I did this, the screen would light up and display a fully green battery, as it would if it had been turned off and plugged up to charge. The screen would stay like that for a few seconds, and then cut off completely as if the phone were completely dead again.

I have literally NO idea what could possibly be wrong with it, nor do I have any idea how to fix it. Being 19, I basically live off of my phone, and I actually really need it back. I can't afford to buy a new one, so if there is anyone who knows ANYTHING at all that might help, PLEASE, let me know. It will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bethanator :ciao: welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear about your phone. I moved your thread to the Precedent forum where you might get better help.

It may be too late, but if a phone has water its best to put it in a bag of rice for at least a day. If the Precendent has a removable battery, take it out and leave the cover off.

Since it boots up, you might try going to recovery and doing a factory reset and see it that helps.

Upvote 0
Pull the battery out, wait 30 seconds or so, and put it back in and try to boot it up. While you've got the back open, look around in there and see if you can see any moisture or dirt. Clean the battery connectors, and if there's still any moisture in there after this long definitely let it dry out before you reinstall the battery. You can also try turning it back on while it's still plugged in.

I've heard people have success getting water out of their phone by immersing it into rubbing alcohol and then letting it dry completely then attempting to recharge. I've never tried it myself, I've had mixed success with recovering phones after they've gotten wet. For me if they work at all they are never the same.

If you bought your phone at a local Walmart, you can try taking it back to see if they can replace it. You can try calling Straight Talk directly as well. I don't know if they will replace phones with water damage, but if it isn't working anymore you don't have anything to loose.

Upvote 0
this phone is very sensitive to moisture. once mine phantom rebooted by itself while playing music at work. pulling it out of pocket, it had 'sweat' on the inside of the screen, from it being very hot, my jeans were soaked in sweat after working 9 hours outdoors, so it got temporarily shorted out. other issues like failing to turn on, the 'dead android', or even the infamous 'haunted phone' that starts clicking things on its own or dialing random contacts can happen.

if there is a problem this model normally would display the 'dead android' symbol with tummy open and a yellow or red triangle depending on the problem. this is the same as the old 'Sad Mac' found on older Apple Macintosh computers. basically the Android version of a Blue Screen of Death. sometimes this can be fixed by a power cycle or a BlackBerry-like battery pull, other times the ROM is corrupt and would need to be reflashed.

if on the charging screen if you see an image which looks like a 'falling rocks' triangle alert, alternating between that and the charging animation, this indicates some kind of battery fault which could make the phone unable to turn on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones