• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung Galaxy Prevail Teardown

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to tear down the Prevail? My GF dropped hers in water and there are water spots on the inside of the screen. Does anyone know if I could somehow clean this? It's driving her crazy and I don't feel like buying a new phone! Thanks!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BUMP for some help with question from merged thread

:party:

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me how hard it is to tear down the Prevail? My GF dropped hers in water and there are water spots on the inside of the screen. Does anyone know if I could somehow clean this? It's driving her crazy and I don't feel like buying a new phone! Thanks!

have you tried to remove the battery and sd and put the phone in a jar of rice (uncooked) overnight.

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
The Prevail has 6 screws. You can see them clearly once the battery cover is off. The rest of the device is held together with clips. Just pull them apart slowly with pressure at certain locations and it comes apart very easily.

The lcd and the digitizer are very well put together. They might be glued together. I got as far as the lcd but didn't go any further as it seemed that it was very solid. The water spots might be there to stay. If you're adventerous enough you might be able to pry the lcd off the digitizer. Be very careful of the ribbon cable tough... it seemed that the digitizer's ribbon cable passes through the lcd and into the mobo. Screw the cable up and your device's lcd and digitizer are both toast.

Upvote 0
Replacing the front screen of the Prevail - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

That link has some pretty detailed instructions on replacing the screen on the prevail. Sadly, there are no pictures to go along with it but it's still a good read. I'm considering doing this because of scratches but I haven't decided for sure yet. I didn't read through it all the way, but it might have the info that wetbiker was looking for about the screen.

Upvote 0
ok guys, so i got an issue. i have the exact same phone here, and it worked fine for a while. it was rooted when i got it, but i never added any programs to mess with speed or any of the factory settings. all of a sudden it shut down and locked up, and now it won't power on at all. any idea of what to look for in this situation? i've already pulled the cover off and carefully examined the motherboard, but to no avail. it all looks normal, aside from one minor difference. the far right prong where the battery connects into the board is slightly pulled outta it's black casing, but with my samsung gem that has the same issue, it still turns on. what am i missing?
Did you use ROM manager?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones