• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung Galaxy Prevail Teardown

ron580

Nov 26, 2011
First of all merry Christmas!! I had a little time to check out the insides of our wonderful prevail during my Christmas break and thought some of you might wanna check it out.

1.)Prevail with the backplate removed
2.)Front side of motherboard
3.)Screen
4.) & 5.)Close up shots of motherboard

IMG_2260.jpg
IMG_2273.jpg
IMG_2277.jpg
IMG_2283.jpg
IMG_2281.jpg

I want to replace my screen, what tools did you need
i used a Phillips size PH0 to remove the screws on the back cover and i used a 2.4mm flat-head to pry the backplate. To remove the motherboard disconnect the tab that is connected to the screen and the top portion of the motherboard is glued. after removing the motherboard you have access to the screen but i believe the lcd is glued onto the front face plate so you most likely will need a heatgun or just find a way to pry it off. but be careful man there's a lot of things that can break.

Upvote 0
Would it be possible to change the shitty 2mp camera? This is the only thing I hate about this phone...
heh I actually thought about doing this. I have a Galaxy S with a busted screen that i took apart. The Camera sure looks the same so does the connector.

I didn't try it because I fear there will be a problem with the drivers...... :(

Upvote 0
I know this an old thread, but has anyone replaced the screen on their prevail? I'm thinking about giving it a go but I'm curious to see if anyone else tried it already.

ron580 mentioned that the screen was probably glued in place, so I especially want to know about getting the old one out and a new one in.

No I opened mine to try to get the "charging without plugged in" problem fixed, even thou I did not get it fixed I did see the connectors.

If you remove the six screw on the back "tiny screws" and remove the back cover. on the left top corner side will be the connector to the screen "first picture posted the orange square thingy", is a wide plastic connector that can be unplugged. As far as I know just about every screen I've seen even in old phones they had the same connectors but that's a different story.

I do have to warn you thou, you either need to be trained on handle delicate equipment, and be trained about static discharges. You can easily damage the phone to a point of no return.

Only tools you might need is a set of very small screwdrivers possible down to the size for glasses.

Good luck either way hope you get it.

Upvote 0
heh I actually thought about doing this. I have a Galaxy S with a busted screen that i took apart. The Camera sure looks the same so does the connector.

I didn't try it because I fear there will be a problem with the drivers...... :(

Don't worry about drivers, we can always get drivers. We just need to know detailed specifics about the donor camera. Things like exactly what phone it came from, if that camera chipset has a name, what it is, etc.

it might drop in and run, never know until you try

Upvote 0
ok guys, so i got an issue. i have the exact same phone here, and it worked fine for a while. it was rooted when i got it, but i never added any programs to mess with speed or any of the factory settings. all of a sudden it shut down and locked up, and now it won't power on at all. any idea of what to look for in this situation? i've already pulled the cover off and carefully examined the motherboard, but to no avail. it all looks normal, aside from one minor difference. the far right prong where the battery connects into the board is slightly pulled outta it's black casing, but with my samsung gem that has the same issue, it still turns on. what am i missing?

Upvote 0
ok guys, so i got an issue. i have the exact same phone here, and it worked fine for a while. it was rooted when i got it, but i never added any programs to mess with speed or any of the factory settings. all of a sudden it shut down and locked up, and now it won't power on at all. any idea of what to look for in this situation? i've already pulled the cover off and carefully examined the motherboard, but to no avail. it all looks normal, aside from one minor difference. the far right prong where the battery connects into the board is slightly pulled outta it's black casing, but with my samsung gem that has the same issue, it still turns on. what am i missing?

Chips that have gone bad typically look just like good chips, unless they catastrophically fail.

If the smoke wasn't let out, chances are you'll not be able to find and replace whatever part went bad on you.

I think you just have a phone that died. A moment of silence for our fallen :musicus:

Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me how hard it is to tear down the Prevail? My GF dropped hers in water and there are water spots on the inside of the screen. Does anyone know if I could somehow clean this? It's driving her crazy and I don't feel like buying a new phone! Thanks!

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/471053-samsung-galaxy-prevail-teardown.html

Not exactly a list of instructions, but i believe there is plenty of info discussed in that thread to get you where you need to be.

Be careful if you attempt it. I hear there are some delicate parts inside

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
Merging similar threads.

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to tear down the Prevail? My GF dropped hers in water and there are water spots on the inside of the screen. Does anyone know if I could somehow clean this? It's driving her crazy and I don't feel like buying a new phone! Thanks!

Sending you a PM Wemis w/ info. I will also leave a re-direct up for 3 days.:)

Thanks for posting that link Kouma. (lol) you beat me to it. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones