• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung Galaxy Rush CWM issue

Axi0n

Lurker
Jun 25, 2013
Hello all I would like to start off by saying I am new to this forum and new to the whole rooting of phones. I recently wanted to try it and see what it was all about. I've read some tutorials and downloaded Odin3, CWM-Rush-M830-Final.tar, and lastly SuperSu. I followed all the steps to a Tee..the problem I am having is that I cannot get CWM to flash to my phone. I open Odin3, click PDA and select the .tar file, uncheck all boxes in Odin3 except Auto Reboot, go into Download mode on my phone (Odin3 sees the phone), and I hit start. Everything appears to install correctly and the phone reboots with no errors. So now I power down the phone and try to enter CWM Recovery (Volume UP and Power Key) the phone enters the Default Android system Recovery <3e>. What am I doing wrong? Any help or advice is much appreciated please!

-Alex

The auto reboot is the problem. The phone has a file inside it that replaces the stock recovery when the phone boots. You need to uncheck that option.

Then once Odin successfully installs cwm, unplug the phone & pull the battery.

Now replace the battery and hold volume up and then hold power. Continue to hold power until you see the Samsung logo and then release power but continue to hold volume up until you see cwm.

Now you can flash the su.zip and once you select reboot system, you should be prompted to 'disable recovery flash'

You are going to want to select yes. This will allow you to keep cwm

Upvote 0
hey guys....

ive tried doing what was posted but its not working. im running 4.1.2 so I dunno if that's the problem. I can connect to odin and send the pda file no prob. its when I unplug the cord and pull out the battery and hold vol up and power that it just starts the normal power up. ive rooted my prevail and my galaxy tab 2 so I know what im doing. I read that I need to disable auto reboot but is that just the setting on odin (cuz ive done that) or is there some setting on my phone that needs to be checked. also should usb debugging be checked off on my phone? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Upvote 0
I just did this last night on a brand new rush upgraded to jb.

I had some problems getting it to boot into recovery myself. Just keep trying.

Once you flash recovery with Odin and the phone is powered off, hold volume up and power. Keep holding both buttons until you see the Samsung logo (actually I find its better to hold it for a couple seconds after you see the logo) then release the power button but keep holding volume up until it boots to cwm

Reactions: JasonWillmert
Upvote 0
The auto reboot is the problem. The phone has a file inside it that replaces the stock recovery when the phone boots. You need to uncheck that option.

Then once Odin successfully installs cwm, unplug the phone pull & the battery.

Now replace the battery and hold volume up and then hold power. Continue to hold power until you see the Samsung logo and then release power but continue to hold volume up until you see cwm.

Now you can flash the su.zip and once you select reboot system, you should be prompted to 'disable recovery flash'

You are going to want to select yes. This will allow you to keep cwm
lordvincent90 thank you for your posts!! I have been searching for this info for a while now. I am having the same problem as evillvi. I finally made it far enough to get the cwm .tar file successfully loaded onto my phone. Now I can't get the custom recovery screen to show.

I unchecked the auto reboot button on odin, so I manually reboot by pulling out the battery and then replacing it. I have tried holding down the volume up and power buttons a number of different ways (releasing power at the samsung logo, releasing power 2 seconds after the logo, holding it the whole time, etc.) but I have had no luck.

I keep getting the 3e android recovery screen. I have already wiped all my info in my vain attempts to root my phone. Any ideas? My goal is to get this issue resolved with software fixes before I break out the sledgehammer. I've already come close a couple times.

Upvote 0
lordvincent90 thank you for your posts!! I have been searching for this info for a while now. I am having the same problem as evillvi. I finally made it far enough to get the cwm .tar file successfully loaded onto my phone. Now I can't get the custom recovery screen to show.

I unchecked the auto reboot button on odin, so I manually reboot by pulling out the battery and then replacing it. I have tried holding down the volume up and power buttons a number of different ways (releasing power at the samsung logo, releasing power 2 seconds after the logo, holding it the whole time, etc.) but I have had no luck.

I keep getting the 3e android recovery screen. I have already wiped all my info in my vain attempts to root my phone. Any ideas? My goal is to get this issue resolved with software fixes before I break out the sledgehammer. I've already come close a couple times.

is it at any time getting to the boot animation? if the phone fully boots it will erase cwm and replace it with the stock recovery.

if its booting straight into the stock recovery from a powered off state (immediately after using odin) you may not have the drivers installed correctly.

-is the device in downloading mode?
-is odin showing that the device is connected?
-what is the output from odin? (the text in the box in the lower left corner)

Reactions: mike_538 and rluhrs
Upvote 0
I get the reboot animation if I hold the power button too long while starting recovery mode. It happens every third time or so, and it fully reboots. all other times I get the generic recovery screen.

I have checked my drivers and they seem to be working properly.

The device reaches downloading mode, odin shows the device is connected. it lights up and tells me everything is a pass. Here is the text from the odin message box:

<ID:0/003> Added!!

Upvote 0
(Odin message box continued)

<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
(ditto) File analysis..
SetupConnection..
Initialization..
Get PIT for mapping..
Firmware update start..
recovery.img
NAND Write Start!!
RQT_CLOSE!!
RES OK!!
Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/003> Removed!!

Thanks for looking it over

Upvote 0
Looks correct to me. The only thing I can think of is that you are letting it boot and its overwriting cwm with the stock recovery.

Try using odin again, pull the battery once it finishes and attempt to boot into cwm as noted above... if it doesn't boot into cwm and starts loading the boot animation (Samsung with the swirls) immediately pull the battery and try to boot into recovery again. (I actually left the battery cover off so I could quickly pull the battery if I needed)

Upvote 0
Once Odin3 says done! Pull the usb cord out and the battery

(Now cwm recovery is on your phone, but to get to it you can not let your phone boot)

Go straight to cwm ( put the battery back in, hold vol. up & power buttons) if you fail to enter cwm try again, pull the battery out and try again, but don't let the phone boot until after you have enterd cwm

Upvote 0
Hello all I would like to start off by saying I am new to this forum and new to the whole rooting of phones. I recently wanted to try it and see what it was all about. I've read some tutorials and downloaded Odin3, CWM-Rush-M830-Final.tar, and lastly SuperSu. I followed all the steps to a Tee..the problem I am having is that I cannot get CWM to flash to my phone. I open Odin3, click PDA and select the .tar file, uncheck all boxes in Odin3 except Auto Reboot, go into Download mode on my phone (Odin3 sees the phone), and I hit start. Everything appears to install correctly and the phone reboots with no errors. So now I power down the phone and try to enter CWM Recovery (Volume UP and Power Key) the phone enters the Default Android system Recovery <3e>. What am I doing wrong? Any help or advice is much appreciated please!

-Alex

~..Hi there,..I'm glad u finally made rooted ur phone,..May I know where'd you get the tutorial for rooting?..I have a samsung reverb 4.1.2, and I have 3 counts in my CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD..and can't root my phone.. :dontknow: :( Could you please provide step by step instruction?..thank u so much, ur reply will highly appreciated.. :)

Upvote 0
Looks correct to me. The only thing I can think of is that you are letting it boot and its overwriting cwm with the stock recovery.

Try using odin again, pull the battery once it finishes and attempt to boot into cwm as noted above... if it doesn't boot into cwm and starts loading the boot animation (Samsung with the swirls) immediately pull the battery and try to boot into recovery again. (I actually left the battery cover off so I could quickly pull the battery if I needed)

I've been having the same problem. I have an ootb 4.1.2 Reverb, and I use Odin, works perfectly and installs the CWM fine. So now I have installed the .tar file through odin and i now have unplugged it, took the battery out, and put the battery back in. THIS is the part where I fail, I cannot get into recovery mode, I push up on the volume button and hold it and hold the power button until the logo comes up and release the power button when the logo does come up and it still boots up with the swirly animation and removes the cwm thing. I'm a newbie so no hate. Thanks for a quick response

Upvote 0
I have followed all these instuctions several times and I still get booted up into stock recovery. When I remove my battery and replace it then hold the power and volume up button the samsung logo appears and I release the power and it just turns my phone on. If i continue to hold it it boots me into stock. Pls help I am getting so frustrated. I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Upvote 0
I'm also having the same problem as everyone else. I've followed all the directions along with the suggestions mentioned here but I still can't get into cwm. When the Samsung logo appears I get the yellow triangle with an exclamation point on the screen so I'm guessing that means I did something but it's just not working.

*Nevermind, didn't realize I was trying to install the ics one on jb.

Upvote 0
If you have skype I'm willing to help you, send me a PM with your Skype name and I'll contact you on there...

Okay I gave up on rooting for awhile and now I have the itch again! OK so I have been reading up and I was wondering if I could possibly use a one click method? Not framaroot but root_with_restore_by_bin4ry_v30zip that I downloaded from this site Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry

Upvote 0
hell everyone I just recieved a Samsung galaxy Rush from my daughter reset her stuff to factory to put m own info in it, and then relized after trying to install my apps that it had literaly no room to add any aps so I decided to try and root it and use the unused sd card but find myself having the same isues as everyone else I used oden, <ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> recovery.img
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/005> RES OK !!
<ID:0/005> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/005> Removed!!

After that I removed the cable and battery, held up+Power button till logo shows then release power button while still holding up vol button, Nothing ever seems to haapen it always seem to boot to the logo cant get CWM-Rush-M830-Final.tar to flash please help is this just a usless prosses?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones