• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help samsung galaxy s big problem with pattern code and gmail

fitzzy

Lurker
Jul 23, 2010
i have a sgs and untill yesterday i never had a problem with it untill my youngest 2 children got hold of it while we were asleep i have the pattern code on it and so they played with it untill it says to many pattern attempts! and tried to log in to gmail with password but nothing happends i am on vodafone phoned up samsung and got an african woman on the other end and she never understood what i was on about (waist of time and phoning and effort) then i phone up vodafone uk and they said (there tech department ) go on andriod forum because they will not get anything for 6 months on how to fix the sgs so now i have come here in the hope that somebody will knoww what to do (the sim card is NOT blocked just the phone) so now does ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA ON WHAT TO DO :thinking::( its either that or go through the insurance with vodafone and get a new one but i dont want to do that ! hhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllpppppppppppppp please

Reactions: divva
I found this which might help you out...

Comment 26 by pcatalano2, Aug 30, 2009
I have had the same problem but i did find a temporary work around. I would touch the
password box so my better keyboard would pop up, i then would hold down the ?123
button and open the better android settings, after that i opened the emergency
dialer. while i was in the emergency dialer i repeatedly tapped the home and menu
button(this takes a while) you will then catch a glimpse of your home screen. When
that happens you need to open the physical keyboard and then continue tapping the
home and menu and it should pop you in.(its very tricky but it does work) After that
i disabled the lock pattern and now the only way for me to pass the too many pattern
attempts lock screen is to open the physical keyboard. I do not want to do a factory
reset but I'm getting tired of having to open my physical keyboard every time i want
to check/use my phone.
Comment 27 by h.satre, Sep 01, 2009
Hi, I had this problem yesterday and finally resolved it without hard reseting the
phone. (with samsung galaxy)
During the call, I pressed the home touch, then went to the parameters and security.
I disabled the pattern locking... and hang off.
After that... the phone was still locked asking me to log in with google account,
BUT if I press again unlock button I finaly unlock the phone.
When the phone is lock, I still have this 'strange' log in things but just disappear
and let me use my phone in a normal way when I click again on the unlock button.
Hope it will help.
Comment 28 by stoupaq, Sep 01, 2009
Hi, I tried techniques from comment 26 and 27 but none was working for me. But then
when I was really desperate I tried to combine them. During a call I tried to open
and close keyboard in rapid succession and I hit home button in meanwhile. And
suddenly I am looking on unlocked home screen. So I disabled gesture lock in
settings. Then I had sync error message in notification bar, which probably was
because as I was trying to unlock phone I changed my password for google account. So
I entered new password to sync error window and telephone resumed syncing. Then when
I locked phone 'too many attempts' screen showed again, but now my new password from
google account finally worked. Heureka! I dodged erasing phone. Blessed be the bug
that allowed me to do this.

You can read the entire thread here
Issue 3006 - android - Google credentials don't unlock phone after failing too many pattern attempts - Project Hosting on Google Code

From what I understand, you can still receive calls and during a call get to the home screen to turn off the unlocking feature, reset your google password and then turn locking back on, using the new password.

Oh, and keep your phone away from the kids ;)

Upvote 0
I had the same problem. SGS did not accept my Gmail, it says "wrong username or password" immediately after pressing OK, which means that it does not check with Google. The error occurs immediately, so the failure is caused by SGS or generally the Android system (some HTC models should have the same issue).

And I could'nt make a factory reset, no matter how. So I ended up updating the firmware via the Odin software. That also wiped my data, but I restored my contacts from Gmail, and I make SMS backup everyday, so no harm done. So now, I run a newer firmware which has lots of improvements.

Upvote 0
Hi I'm new,

I had a similar problem the on the second day I owned the phone. After searching and searching I was unable to find a way to fix the problem and ended up having to do a hard reset and restore it to factory. Here are the instructions if you wish to go down that path.

Shut your Android Galaxy S down (Power off) or remove Battery.
Now press Volume up, Home and Power together.
If the Samsung Symbol is comming up leave the Home Button.
Then there is a boot Menu
Volume Up and Down to Navigate , Home to select the choosen option

I have located another possible answer although I have not (touch wood) had to try and do this myself it may work for you.

Issue 10077 - android - Google "ignore dots" feature not handled properly for "too many pattern attempts" fallback screen unlock - Project Hosting on Google Code

let me know how you go.

Upvote 0
i have a sgs and untill yesterday i never had a problem with it untill my youngest 2 children got hold of it while we were asleep i have the pattern code on it and so they played with it untill it says to many pattern attempts! and tried to log in to gmail with password but nothing happends i am on vodafone phoned up samsung and got an african woman on the other end and she never understood what i was on about (waist of time and phoning and effort) then i phone up vodafone uk and they said (there tech department ) go on andriod forum because they will not get anything for 6 months on how to fix the sgs so now i have come here in the hope that somebody will knoww what to do (the sim card is NOT blocked just the phone) so now does ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA ON WHAT TO DO :thinking::( its either that or go through the insurance with vodafone and get a new one but i dont want to do that ! hhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllpppppppppppppp please
Hey man GUESS WHAT I GOT THE ANSWER TO THAT CRAZY PROBLEM. Its so lame so lame and you wouldn't even believe it, honestly it was like i just gave it a try and it worked.

AGAIN ITS the lamest thing you could ever think of, anyway heres how it goes,

1) Log in to your google account on your pc, the same account you registered for your phone

2) After logging in look at the top right corner of your inbox/email page, it would say your google username. Like say if you name is John, and you have a google id thats registered to your galaxy s as , john123@gmail.com. Now this google id on the top right corner of the page would be displayed as john123@googlemail.com

3) Type in the google id, thats visible on the right hand top corner of your page (like john123@googlemail.com) into your galaxy s handset locked page, and type in the password.

TADA AND YOUR ON TO THE NEW SCREEN TELLING YOU TO PUT IN ANOTHER PATTERN.

Thanks

Zoh

May Allah's Mercy be upon all of you.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem. SGS did not accept my Gmail, it says "wrong username or password" immediately after pressing OK, which means that it does not check with Google. The error occurs immediately, so the failure is caused by SGS or generally the Android system (some HTC models should have the same issue).

And I could'nt make a factory reset, no matter how. So I ended up updating the firmware via the Odin software. That also wiped my data, but I restored my contacts from Gmail, and I make SMS backup everyday, so no harm done. So now, I run a newer firmware which has lots of improvements.
what is the Odin software as i cannot get the factory reset to work no matter what buttons I press.

Upvote 0
what is the Odin software as i cannot get the factory reset to work no matter what buttons I press.

Google is your friend... Odin is an update tool for Samsung phones. There's a lot of information on Odin here and on xda developers website.

Samsung firmware can be downloaded from www.samfirmware.webs.com

Good luck, but remember to carefully read all the instructions twice before experimentating with i.e. Odin.

Upvote 0
Hi I'm new,

I had a similar problem the on the second day I owned the phone. After searching and searching I was unable to find a way to fix the problem and ended up having to do a hard reset and restore it to factory. Here are the instructions if you wish to go down that path.

Shut your Android Galaxy S down (Power off) or remove Battery.
Now press Volume up, Home and Power together.
If the Samsung Symbol is comming up leave the Home Button.
Then there is a boot Menu
Volume Up and Down to Navigate , Home to select the choosen option

I have located another possible answer although I have not (touch wood) had to try and do this myself it may work for you.

Issue 10077 - android - Google "ignore dots" feature not handled properly for "too many pattern attempts" fallback screen unlock - Project Hosting on Google Code

let me know how you go.

hi.

I bought a samsung galaxy several days ago.. like many other people online my son got hold of the phone and has locked me out.

i have tried to wipe(by the method above) and reboot the system many time but everytime it returns to the " too many pattern attempts" page again.

can the phone the reset by removing the battery etc etc??

Please help....

Upvote 0
i have not registered the phone with google and it was bought off ebay...

why would it be that the hard reset is not working??... i thought it was a last resort and garrenteed to work.

1.) Are you sure the phone has been Hard resetted and is wiped?

2.) Before the unlocking problem didnt you had a google account on phone to access Android market?

Upvote 0
hi
i had the same problem and its easy to unlock without factory reset.

simply call your mobile from other phone and receive the calll on your phone, while on call press the curved arrow button (above the home button) on samsung galaxy, it will take you to home screen. then press the left top(menu) button and select the seettings option and then select the security option and then disable the pattern. All this has to be done with the active call. this will solve the problem and then you can terminate the call.
hope this will solve the problem.
best luck

Reactions: broker0002502
Upvote 0
hi
To unlock the phone screen when it is pattern locked.

simply call your mobile from other phone and receive the calll on your phone, while on call press the curved arrow button (above the home button) on samsung galaxy, it will take you to home screen. then press the left top(menu) button and select the seettings option and then select the security option and then disable the pattern. All this has to be done with the active call. this will solve the problem and then you can terminate the call.
best luck

Upvote 0
Hey man GUESS WHAT I GOT THE ANSWER TO THAT CRAZY PROBLEM. Its so lame so lame and you wouldn't even believe it, honestly it was like i just gave it a try and it worked.
AGAIN ITS the lamest thing you could ever think of, anyway heres how it goes,
1) Log in to your google account on your pc, the same account you registered for your phone
2) After logging in look at the top right corner of your inbox/email page, it would say your google username. Like say if you name is John, and you have a google id thats registered to your galaxy s as , john123@gmail.com. Now this google id on the top right corner of the page would be displayed as john123@googlemail.com
3) Type in the google id, thats visible on the right hand top corner of your page (like john123@googlemail.com) into your galaxy s handset locked page, and type in the password.
TADA AND YOUR ON TO THE NEW SCREEN TELLING YOU TO PUT IN ANOTHER PATTERN.
Thanks
Zoh
May Allah's Mercy be upon all of you.

I almost didn't try this, because I figured I'd set up the account on my Galaxy as "gmail.com" - but it worked. I'm very thankful too Zoh - cheers mate!

For anyone else who is struggling with this -

1) try your Google account username/email as @gmail.com and as @googlemail.com

2) DO NOT hard reset if you don't have to (especially if you have got data on there you want to keep!)

3) NO MATTER HOW SILLY A SOLUTION SOUNDS - TRY IT.

Best of luck to you all.

Upvote 0
Sadly to say for my self, i have tried all the advice given here except the hanset/factory restore as that is a last thing i want to do as there are things on my phone i do not wish to lose, the whole answering the phone and pressing the buttons does nothing for me but keeps taking me back to my locked page and like many others it will not accept my real valid google information. and further help with out me having to do a factory reset would be great

Thanks X

Upvote 0
what if the phone isn't registered wth a phone number yet and you can't call yourself from another line?
then what?

hi
To unlock the phone screen when it is pattern locked.

best luck

Upvote 0
this does not work, i tried it on mine....
still stuck on draw pattern to unlock
what am i doing wrong? how frustrating.

i found this one really works, after trying everything else, for nearly a week i found this

EVERYONE READ!
i found a away wheni rang up!
you type in your googlemail adress for the email
and then for password you type the word "null"
this unlocks your phone and lets you create a knew pattern!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones