• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung: Galaxy S getting update 2.2 (Froyo) in September

Shh... You are not allowed to say "my GPS works" to any degree, with or without wireless networks checked, especially "flawlessly." The naysayers will be all over you asking for screenshots and proof and attempting to discredit your comments maybe even escalate to personal attacks... After all, it can't be true. :rolleyes:

I will be glad when the GPS issue is resolved for everyone. It is a big issue for some and it should be fixed. This is a flagship device and should work for everyone.

I am a firm believer that whatever device is released, regardless of how well it performs, someone in some forum will find a host of issues to complain about. And I'm not saying that there aren't legitimate issues with this device. There are issues with every device on the market - there is no perfect phone.

People, without any hesitation, will find something wrong with anything and complain about it. I used my GPS yesterday aswell to navigate to something about 20 miles away, perfect. no problems at all. no wireless networks checked either. However how is checking wireless networks cheating IF THE OPTION IS THERE?? :rolleyes: The vibrant is an excellent, if not one of the best phones todate. and the people with all the problems, exchange it. if you still have problems then maybe lower your expectations a little bit. If you have any knowledge in technology, then you should be aware that any and all technology will have a flaw somewhere or another, and for a mass produced item such as a phone, not all of them are going to make the perfect cut. after all it is a phone, not a device that links to a satelite that has a beam that can scratch your ass from outer space. :p a fix is in the works as is 2.2. dont let your huggies get in too big of a bunch.

Upvote 0
Shh... You are not allowed to say "my GPS works" to any degree, with or without wireless networks checked, especially "flawlessly." The naysayers will be all over you asking for screenshots and proof and attempting to discredit your comments maybe even escalate to personal attacks... After all, it can't be true. :rolleyes:

I will be glad when the GPS issue is resolved for everyone. It is a big issue for some and it should be fixed. This is a flagship device and should work for everyone.

I am a firm believer that whatever device is released, regardless of how well it performs, someone in some forum will find a host of issues to complain about. And I'm not saying that there aren't legitimate issues with this device. There are issues with every device on the market - there is no perfect phone.

Yeah...I gotta complaint! I'm left handed and the power button is on the right side of the phone! I can't push it with my thumb! :p

Upvote 0
Yeah...I gotta complaint! I'm left handed and the power button is on the right side of the phone! I can't push it with my thumb! :p

smilielol5.gif
Yeah, this phone is junk... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
No worries unlike you cool kids I am not satisfied with mediocrity. Call it whining all you like but MY phone has some serious issues. Enough that yes I will be returning it today. For me it is tool not a hobby.
Go return it and get the most high end phone on the market; the G2 with the awe-inspiring 800Mhz processor, 3.7 inch WVGA display, 1300mAh battery, and 4 row keyboard. :D

Seriously, if you CARE about your phone you will root it.

Upvote 0
No worries unlike you cool kids I am not satisfied with mediocrity. Call it whining all you like but MY phone has some serious issues. Enough that yes I will be returning it today. For me it is tool not a hobby.

Hmm. As I previouly stated, some phones are having serious issues. Those need to be addressed. I believe they will be with the upcoming fix and Froyo. This phone is clearly not your cup of tea and returning it makes sense for you. If as you say for you it is a "tool" and so mediocre, I'm surprised you have waited this long to return it.

Then again, mediocrity might just be in the mind of the beholder.

Make no mistake, I use the Vibrant in business everyday. I own and operate a wholesale food distribution company. I receive continuous email through my business email accounts. I haven't had a single dropped call since 7/20/10 when I picked up my Vibrant. The call quality and call handling are both excellent. My GPS works just fine. It gets me from point A to point B 100% of the time it is slow locking up occasionally but that is so minimal it's not a problem. Heck my dedicated Garmin Nuvi is slow locking up from time to time.

One of the most important features of this device is it's amazing screen. I can read the screen easily at high noon unlike any other device I have yet seen. Web access, also an important aspect, of my business use is clearly legible, fast and easy unlike many other devices which were designed with corporate users in mind, e.g. Blackberry. I love the fact that it will play my Divx (or any other video format) movie collection with gorgeous resolution and nary a hiccup though I must admit my top priority has always been the phone's ability to handle my business needs. I have yet to watch a full movie on my phone but it's nice to know that if I ever want to view or share a video clip, I can do so with image quality that was heretofore unavailable in a handheld.

Quite often in my business it is necessary to shoot photos of a product label or food product itself for emailing to a customer or if there is a problem, the vendor. The Vibrant's phenomenal camera has made lugging around a camera unnecessary for anything but the most demanding photographic work.

The Vibrant has improved wireless communication in my business moreso than any other mobile device I have seen yet. It crushes anything I've seen from Blackberry, etc. So for me, no this isn't a hobby toy. This is a fully functional and effective business tool that has already paid for itself several times over.

For my business use, personal use, and entertainment value the Vibrant has met my needs and beyond.

Good luck with your next device Countbunny, I hope you get something you really like.

Upvote 0
One of the most important features of this device is it's amazing screen. I can read the screen easily at high noon unlike any other device I have yet seen.
So true! I just started college and it's such a blessing to be able to see my screen with perfect clarity in broad daylight. This is a huge issue for me. Unless you never go outside, this is an issue for you as well. This alone makes me choose the Galaxy S over similar phones. Having a MyTouch Slide I can say that it is IMPOSSIBLE to read in broad daylight. The screen almost looks black. I heard the same for Amoled and SLCD displays.

The guy above says he won't accept mediocrity but I can't fathom what phone he would be talking about.

Upvote 0
So true! I just started college and it's such a blessing to be able to see my screen with perfect clarity in broad daylight. This is a huge issue for me. Unless you never go outside, this is an issue for you as well. This alone makes me choose the Galaxy S over similar phones. Having a MyTouch Slide I can say that it is IMPOSSIBLE to read in broad daylight. The screen almost looks black. I heard the same for Amoled and SLCD displays.

The guy above says he won't accept mediocrity but I can't fathom what phone he would be talking about.

It's pretty clear that either he has a bad copy - which I doubt, he most likely would have exchanged already - or he is a
troll.gif
i.e. Apple FanBoy. Pretty insecure one at that. Why would he buy an Android phone after 16 years of Apple indoctrination? He just came in to troll around and stir up some controversy.

As a matter of fact, yesterday he posted this:
Full disclosure I am an self professed Apple user and fan. I have been using Apple Products since 1994. I am in the music industry and MY business use depends on their products.

androidpeegif.gif

Upvote 0
It's pretty clear that either he has a bad copy - which I doubt, he most likely would have exchanged already - or he is a
troll.gif
i.e. Apple FanBoy. Pretty insecure one at that. Why would he buy an Android phone after 16 years of Apple indoctrination? He just came in to troll around and stir up some controversy.

As a matter of fact, yesterday he posted this:

androidpeegif.gif
Haha he has no credibility then. It's not like we all have different phones here. We all experience the same things he does. He would obviously be happier with an iPhone so I'm not sure what he's doing with a Vibrant.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I don't see why there would be two updates so close together... I'm guessing if there were to be two updates they will both be update.zip files and doing two of those OTA would be dumb.... I'm thinking if we heard that 2.2 was due late September that's when the GPS fix will be also... than again I havent seen any real solid info thus far.

Upvote 0
im afraid this may bring a tmo internet max with it

That's what I'm SAYIN! I too am grandfathered in. I just rooted my phone yesterday and got the wifi hot spot rockin and was thinking to myself "man I love unlimited data". If they found some way to pull an AT&T and cap my shit, I'd bail out faster than they could say "Holy wifi hotspot, Batman!"

Looking very forward to 2.2 (mmm...flash...) and all the cool changes it will bring...I just hope it doesn't bring a bunch of bad changes with it.

Anyone know if my rooting the thing will affect my ability to get the ota update?

No shizzle!! This better not be the case I left AT&T cuz of that sh*t. They told me if I wanted to keep my unlimited data I HAD to get an iPhone 4 cuz it would't transfer to the Captivate. So I said fine and got the Vibrant :)

Upvote 0
I read somewhere out here that September 18th was the date of an update specifically for the GPS problem. As far as Froyo goes, the "end of September" is all I've heard.

I don't see why there would be two updates so close together... I'm guessing if there were to be two updates they will both be update.zip files and doing two of those OTA would be dumb.... I'm thinking if we heard that 2.2 was due late September that's when the GPS fix will be also... than again I havent seen any real solid info thus far.

toetap05.gif
Impatiently waiting here - eagerly awaiting Froyo.
bigear.gif

Upvote 0
Wow...how's that last post for a non sequitur? Anyway, I tend to agree that it would make little sense to post 2 major updates so close to each other, so the GPS fix could well be bundled in Froyo. Let's keep our fingers crossed that Samsung comes through.

lol my apology's but I stopped reading the post when it became a back and forth about the Vibrant being a good phone or not.

I don't mind if the updates are split up because as much as I want Froyo my GPS has just not been reliable since day one so I actually would want that fixed sooner rather than later.

Upvote 0
lol my apology's but I stopped reading the post when it became a back and forth about the Vibrant being a good phone or not.

I don't mind if the updates are split up because as much as I want Froyo my GPS has just not been reliable since day one so I actually would want that fixed sooner rather than later.

Oh trust me, the feeling here is the same. :)

Upvote 0
Hmm. As I previouly stated, some phones are having serious issues. Those need to be addressed. I believe they will be with the upcoming fix and Froyo. This phone is clearly not your cup of tea and returning it makes sense for you. If as you say for you it is a "tool" and so mediocre, I'm surprised you have waited this long to return it.

Then again, mediocrity might just be in the mind of the beholder.

Make no mistake, I use the Vibrant in business everyday. I own and operate a wholesale food distribution company. I receive continuous email through my business email accounts. I haven't had a single dropped call since 7/20/10 when I picked up my Vibrant. The call quality and call handling are both excellent. My GPS works just fine. It gets me from point A to point B 100% of the time it is slow locking up occasionally but that is so minimal it's not a problem. Heck my dedicated Garmin Nuvi is slow locking up from time to time.

One of the most important features of this device is it's amazing screen. I can read the screen easily at high noon unlike any other device I have yet seen. Web access, also an important aspect, of my business use is clearly legible, fast and easy unlike many other devices which were designed with corporate users in mind, e.g. Blackberry. I love the fact that it will play my Divx (or any other video format) movie collection with gorgeous resolution and nary a hiccup though I must admit my top priority has always been the phone's ability to handle my business needs. I have yet to watch a full movie on my phone but it's nice to know that if I ever want to view or share a video clip, I can do so with image quality that was heretofore unavailable in a handheld.

Quite often in my business it is necessary to shoot photos of a product label or food product itself for emailing to a customer or if there is a problem, the vendor. The Vibrant's phenomenal camera has made lugging around a camera unnecessary for anything but the most demanding photographic work.

The Vibrant has improved wireless communication in my business moreso than any other mobile device I have seen yet. It crushes anything I've seen from Blackberry, etc. So for me, no this isn't a hobby toy. This is a fully functional and effective business tool that has already paid for itself several times over.

For my business use, personal use, and entertainment value the Vibrant has met my needs and beyond.

Good luck with your next device Countbunny, I hope you get something you really like.

I thank you very much for your intelligent post. I must say I do apologize if I came across like a jerk yesterday. I was so frustrated with my phone constantly crashing. For me right now the iphone 4 is just not possible. I really do not like At&t. So I would love to love this phone. As I have said before I don't hate the phone I am just not yet a true fan. I am using my break today to head to the T-mobile store to get ANOTHER Vibrant! Like I said yesterday my phone and what I have reading on the internet others have some severe issues. What I am hoping is this next phone doesn't have the hardware issues my present phone has and can be upgraded via software whenever that happens. I am hoping I can gain a similar experience you have described above.

Upvote 0
Haha he has no credibility then. It's not like we all have different phones here. We all experience the same things he does. He would obviously be happier with an iPhone so I'm not sure what he's doing with a Vibrant.

Because I can buy what I want, they are products not religions. I am complaining about a phone that is now being replaced because even T-mobile says it has hardware issues. It has no bearing on you personally. Thanks

Upvote 0
Because I can buy what I want, they are products not religions. I am complaining about a phone that is now being replaced because even T-mobile says it has hardware issues. It has no bearing on you personally. Thanks

Would you elaborate on what hardware issues T-Mobile is admitting to? They've acknowledged the GPS problem, but I haven't heard of them admitting to it being a hardware problem.

And by the way, you aren't associated with Count Chocula, are you? :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones