1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Samsung Galaxy S II Error during upgrade to ICS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bazzman7, May 4, 2012.

1. bazzman7

bazzman7 Lurker
    None

May 4, 2012
    Hey all!

This is my first time on this forum so I'm still a bit fresh.

OK, I tried updating my phone from Android 2.3.6 to ICS. I tried forst on the handset itself, but it had an error about half way through the install. Ith them prompted me to connect to my PC and use Samsiung Kies. I did that and I had the same error, it then told me to try again. On my third try it had another error roughly halfway through the install and now I'm left with the Phone../!\..PC screen when I turn it on.

I managed to get it into a thing called Odin Mode though, only when it's connected to my PC. I have no idea how to use it, but I've read that it may be my saviour. I was opting to send it back to Samsung, but it's an hour drive there and a ton of paperwork, let alone the few week wait without my baby.

Does anyone have any gems of knowledge for me?

Thanks in advance :)

Phone Origin: Australia
    Phone Model: GT-i9100
    Carrier: Optus

Advertisement

2. Kie

Kie Android Expert
    None

Oct 7, 2011
    Risk and Safety Engineer
    Perth, Australia
    Hey mate, welcome to the forums. Good to see a fellow aussie here!

You can update to Optus ICS firmware using Odin. There's a great guide for doing it here. Ignore the stuff about rooting, you don't need root to update official firmware.

Now, you have two choices:
    1. Install official Optus-branded firmware for that authentic Optus feel; or
    2. Install unbranded firmware (removes all things Optus, but you're still on the Optus network).

Not sure how attached you are to Optus apps on your phone, but I'd personally go for the unbranded firmware.

3. bazzman7

bazzman7 Lurker
    None

May 4, 2012
    Hey Kie!

Thanks heaps for the reply, but I looked at the unbranded software and the link you gave me is for the Spanish version. Can you please link me the Aus version, or should I get the spanish version? I've been a bit apprehensive about taking action because I don't want to brick my beloved phone :(

Thanks