• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S - Indian thread

Q: what does Re- partition do??? For upgrade do not click re partition then why do so when you are downgrading??

DDJG4 is a COMPLETE ROM with dbdata.rfs bla bla...if you click Re-partition when upgrading from DDJG4 to 2.2.1 then you will get error as below

E:Can't mount /dev/block/stl11
(Invalid argument)
update media, please wait....
update media, finished
# MANUAL MODE #

-- Applying Muti-CSC...
Installing Muti-CSC
mps_dat value: OPS
copy_multi_carrier from: OPS
multicsc : can not acces to /system/csc/OPS/system/
copy_common_data E:Can't mount /dev/block/stl11
(Invalid argument)
E:Can't mount /dev/block/stl11
(Invalid argument)

Reason for above error:

What happened is we probably flashed using Re-Partition but your PDA and/or CSC was missing the cache.rfs file.

If you tick Re-Partition, you MUST flash the complete set of firmware files (those that include cache.rfs and dbdata.rfs) otherwise you'll get errors like that.

To fix it you have to flash again with Re-Partition and make sure this time your PDA or CSC file has the cache.rfs and dbdata.rfs file inside. You'll lose all your app data, so backup first.

Next time when u flash, don't Re-Partition unless you know you need to. For example, the official JPM/JP6 Froyo update files do not come with a dbdata.rfs, so if you (wrongly) click Re-Partition when u flash them, you're gonna get a similar error but with the /dbdata partition instead.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Hi! I have Samsung Galaxy S Froyo 2.2.1. The solution given on XDA Developers for seeing Hindi Font on Froyo 2.2.1 doesn't seem to work completely. If I just delete DroidSansFallback.ttf and put Droid Hindi Font in Fonts Folder as suggested by there, nothing is visble on Hindi pages. On the other hand, if I rename Droid Hindi Font to DroidSansFallback, I can see Hindi characters but with a major problem. All small e matras come after the letter and half letters are shown with halant. That is very uncomfortable to read. It seems that in Android 2.2.1 all matras are programmed to come after the word (a general rule in Hindi too which small e matra does not follow). Can you please help me? Dejau Vu Devnagari Font also doesn't work. I have spent more than a month in trying out various combinations. I am attaching a picture of the way Hindi Newspaper reads in my phone. Thanks.

Attachments

• Amar Ujala Page.doc
    122.5 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0
Hi! I have Samsung Galaxy S Froyo 2.2.1. The solution given on XDA Developers for seeing Hindi Font on Froyo 2.2.1 doesn't seem to work completely. If I just delete DroidSansFallback.ttf and put Droid Hindi Font in Fonts Folder as suggested by there, nothing is visble on Hindi pages. On the other hand, if I rename Droid Hindi Font to DroidSansFallback, I can see Hindi characters but with a major problem. All small e matras come after the letter and half letters are shown with halant. That is very uncomfortable to read. It seems that in Android 2.2.1 all matras are programmed to come after the word (a general rule in Hindi too which small e matra does not follow). Can you please help me? Dejau Vu Devnagari Font also doesn't work. I have spent more than a month in trying out various combinations. I am attaching a picture of the way Hindi Newspaper reads in my phone. Thanks.

1. Learn to type with proper fonts.
2. to fix your issues. flash I9000ZSJPG 2.2.1 Indian ROM. (get it from News - www.SamFirmware.com)

Upvote 0
Hi,

I recently got hold of a Samsung Galaxy S i9000! Since I couldn't locate any dealer which is selling it with receipt I had to settle down for a used one.
I was actually cheated as I was promised an indian version phone with 9 months of warranty left but I think I got a UK unlocked version :( I am not complaining much though as it has Froyo and is already rooted!

My concern however is how safe it would be to hard reset this phone? Is it possible that it might get locked again if I do so, or cause any other damage?
Here are the details of my phone:
Model number: GT-I9000
Firmware version: 2.2
Baseband Version: I9000NEJP2
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S608#1
Build number: FROYO.NEJP5

How safe it is to flash it with an indian firmware?

Upvote 0
1. Learn to type with proper fonts.
2. to fix your issues. flash I9000ZSJPG 2.2.1 Indian ROM. (get it from News - www.SamFirmware.com)

I don't understand what you mean by 'learn to typy with proper fonts'. I am not yping in Hindi font. I only want to read Hindi properly in my browser and some other applications. By the way, Hindi reads fine in Opera where I had to just do some small tweaking by going to config and enabling bitmap fonts. So, please help. As far as the SamFirmware, I was slightly hesitant as it is not the official firm ware. I have 2.2.1 from Europe (though put gratis by Samsung Repair Centre on my phone). And I can't even locate the Indian ROM 2.2.1 on Samfirmware.

Upvote 0
I don't understand what you mean by 'learn to typy with proper fonts'. I am not yping in Hindi font. I only want to read Hindi properly in my browser and some other applications. By the way, Hindi reads fine in Opera where I had to just do some small tweaking by going to config and enabling bitmap fonts. So, please help. As far as the SamFirmware, I was slightly hesitant as it is not the official firm ware. I have 2.2.1 from Europe (though put gratis by Samsung Repair Centre on my phone). And I can't even locate the Indian ROM 2.2.1 on Samfirmware.

those ROMs on Samfirmware are official , just not released to public
as of now , They have Indian 2.2.1 ROM which works gr8 on my phone.
Once Samsung releases any 2.2.1 ROM on KIES ., you can get that.
Simple.

Upvote 0
You dont need to follow that complicated process. Follow below process.

1. I assume that your phone is virgin(using official rom) and not ****ed up (i.e rooted , applied lagfix bla bla)

If so then read below, else unroot and remove lagfix and follow below process.

1. Download latest European firmware 2.2.1 from this site
Login - www.SamFirmware.com
as of now its I9000XWJS5 ##

2. Download ODIN 1.3 and Galaxy S / .PIT File: DOWNLOAD. (803) from above link. (you need to scroll at bottom)

3. Now unzip that 2.2.1 ROM. You will see 3 files , PDA MODEM and CSC.

4. Remove battery, SIM card , external memory card from phone.

5. Press Vol Down + Power + Home Key (all at same time). Now release all keys once you see a yellow screen. Its called download mode.

6. Now connect data cable to phone and USB.

7. Start ODIN 1.3 , and check if you see yellow below "ID:COM" section. It means that your phone is detected by ODIN.

8. Now make sure that "Re-Partition" is NOT Ticked, "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" is ticked.

9. from step 3 , you have got 3 files. Click PIT and select "803.PIT" file you downlaoded.
Click CSC and select file having "CSC" in filename from above step 3 ZIP file
Click PHONE and select file having "MODEM" in filename from above step 3 ZIP file
Click PDA and select the remaining file which we have not yet used from zip file.

10. Now click START and dont touch the phone(it will auto-reboot) unless you see Samsung home lock screen.

Bitch just got served :p and you are on Froyo 2.2.1

Now when Samsung releases official 2.2.1 for India , you need to download I9000DDJG4 # and 512.PIT file and flash the phone. This I9000DDJG4 has only 1 file. In ODIN , Click PDA and select that 1 file we just got from I9000DDJG4 ROM ZIP.
Now , make sure you tick Re-Partition and 2 ticks as said above.

This way you will be back on 2.1 and then can connect to KIES and get directly 2.2.1

if you have any questions post it here.

Thanks Anil - I9000XWJS5 is listed under europian firmware - is it safe to flash to indian galaxy S?

One more thing - I flashed this one - I9000DDJP6 ##
But Kies detects the current firmware to be DDJF3, and suggests to upgrade to DDJP6 - which it fails to do so ( reason I am using Odin).

Upvote 0
You can flash any 2.2.1 ROM.
you need to download I9000DDJG4 # and 512.PIT file and flash the phone. This I9000DDJG4 has only 1 file. In ODIN , Click PDA and select that 1 file we just got from I9000DDJG4 ROM ZIP.
Now , make sure you tick Re-Partition and 2 ticks as said above.

This way you will be back on 2.1 and then can connect to KIES and get directly 2.2.1

Upvote 0
Upgraded to 2.2.1 - what are the suggested speed mods for this ROM? Something like Ryanza's OCLF etc?

Also - I noticed that there was an option for "Software Update" in "Settings->Software Update" -(does not work yet, perhaps because I have Europian ROM on indian Phone).

So there are plans for OTA s/w updates. I have used that in HTC. Did anyone try it out with Samsung Galaxy?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this. I am in India and I want to know how I can get access to US Android apps. For example, I wanted to download the app iheartradio which is apparently only available in the US. In fact, when I search for it on my phone, the search doesn't reveal anything...but when I search using the Android Market on my PC it appears, but I can't install it because I'm not in the US.

Any ideas? And I'm not too keen on rooting the phone either.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this. I am in India and I want to know how I can get access to US Android apps. For example, I wanted to download the app iheartradio which is apparently only available in the US. In fact, when I search for it on my phone, the search doesn't reveal anything...but when I search using the Android Market on my PC it appears, but I can't install it because I'm not in the US.

Any ideas? And I'm not too keen on rooting the phone either.

u can try market enabler , but outside india contents have some retrictions and may not play/work in india

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones